Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

7-Zip .Rar Difficulties

• Please log in to reply

SirRobinofRosemont

SirRobinofRosemont

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all, I'm very sorry if this is the wrong forum. Please excuse me, I'm new! :)

Alrighty. A friend of mine sent me a video he had made and all of the files were in .rar format. He said that he used 7-Zip for all of his .rar extractions and even told me how to do it.

I followed his instructions and was able to get the .VOB files from his DVD. However, during the extraction process, it repeatedly asked me if it was okay to overwrite files and then told me that most of them were broken. In the end, I had .VOB files with no value. 0Kbs. This is incredibly frustrating.

Here are the instructions he gave me:

"The Files Are Uploaded As RAR Archives. This Is The Most Common. For This, You Will Have To Download All The Files First. You Will End Up With A File Ending With "part01.rar". Now You Have A Choice. You Need A Program That Opens And Extracts RAR Archives. I Use 7-Zip (And I Suggest You Do Too), Because It Is Free, But Other Programs Include WinRAR, WinZip, And BitZipper. Now, Right Click The "part01.rar" File And (If You Have 7-Zip) Click 7-Zip, And Under The Menu That Comes Up, Click "Extract Files". Now Be Patient, In The End You Will Have The VOB Files You Want."

I followed those and am still without video.

Someone please help! I'm at my wit's end. HAHA! Thanks in advance.

Edited by SirRobinofRosemont, 28 May 2009 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

lostos

lostos

• Pip
  • 7 posts
First of all, download and install WinRar (direct link)
Select all the downloaded .rar files (ONLY the .rar files you downloaded, nothing else). Then, right-click on one of them, click "Extract files...", this will pop a window open. From there, have the radio-button Extract and update files checked.
Click OK and wait for the extraction process to finish. A new folder has been created at the same directory as the original .rar files, open that folder, the .VOB files you wanted should be there if you followed this procedure correctly.

If you have any more questions, such as how to play those .VOB files, please don't hesitate to ask.