Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting data from old hard drive

• Please log in to reply

BenB864

BenB864

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I want to get a new hard drive (10,000 RPM), to put my OS on but currently have the OS and all my data on another HD. If I install the new OS on the 10K RPM drive, can I just access the information on the old hard drive while they are both hooked up to my mobo, or will it not recognize the data on the old HD?

Thanks for you help

Advertisements

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
98% sure it will. Assuming there isn't some sort of bus conflict or something on the MOBO in which case they probably wouldn't put two IDE/SATA cables in anyways... Just to check though, do you have a *cheap* mobo?

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
It will. Make sure you enter the BIOS setup and have the correct devices boot up at the start.
-Tony

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It should, but you could clone your old hard disk, and restore the clone on the new one, to make the process easier.