Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my current set up compatible?

• Please log in to reply

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i am currently working on installing the motherboard. is the stand off the "motherboard tray" located in this image? Image

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I believe that Windows 7 is free only till some time in Aug... I'm not sure of the date, also I believe it is a beta version... (In testing) So it may have bugs... But I don't have or use windows 7 so someone else may have better knowledge about it.

The standoffs are usually a small threaded piece like a screw. They need to be screwed into the MOBO tray first.(They came in the small bag that your screws came in... They are male on one side and female on the other... Male screws in to the MOBO tray and the female end accepts the screw from the MOBO itself...
Good luck

Cbarnard

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Windows 7, from what I've heard is supposed to be released Winter of 2009.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
whew. im progressing quite steadily. im now connecting my power supply to misc. parts of the computer and have once again found myself at a hault. I connected the PSU to the drive put im confused about the smaller input to the right in this picture

I dont see a connector for that one. Ah!!!

same with the harddrive. I've got the on input connected, but don't recognize the other two.

Edited by MrFeenee, 05 June 2009 - 02:51 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
The port to the right in the picture is a sata data connection connector. the connector looks like this

The port to the left is the Sata power connection the adaptor looks like this

I forgot to mention. That there should be 2 sata cables in the box the MOBO came in, and the cd\dvd burner should have also come with a cable...

Good luck I hope this helps.

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 05 June 2009 - 07:08 AM.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i found both of those, but i dont see a connector on my power supply for the smaller one.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
The smaller sata cable gets connected to the lower right hand side of the MOBO There are 6 ports that accept that cable, place it in the middle port on the top for the HDD, and place your DVD sata cable on the top port right side... Also the top left port is supposed to be connected to the Sata interface in the I\O panel(where all the exterior connections are) you will see the port in the upper left for this...

Also that port is not necessary if you don't use a sata device outside of the computer

Good luck

Cbarnard

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
im currently trying to add power to by additional cooling fan which only has a 2 split molar connectors. How can i get power to these?

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I believe that Windows 7 is free only till some time in Aug... I'm not sure of the date, also I believe it is a beta version... (In testing) So it may have bugs... But I don't have or use windows 7 so someone else may have better knowledge about it.

Windows 7 RC is "free" until June 1, 2010. Starting on May 1, 2010, the computer will start to shut-down every two hours though.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Ok the female molex connector gets connected to the PSU... the Male molex connector is a pass thru to another fan... all you need to do is take one of the available molex connectors to the female and your fan will work...

Good luck, I believe this is what you were looking for...

Windows 7 RC is "free" until June 1, 2010. Starting on May 1, 2010, the computer will start to shut-down every two hours though.

Thank you for the info... I remember a while back seeing something about AUG. they must have changed the date...

Cbarnard

Advertisements

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
what is the sli/xfire pwr 1 port for? do I need to run my PSU to it?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
The crossfire\sli power port is if you had a second video card, But since you have one you will not have to worry about this port...
Just plug your 6 pin PCI-e connector from the PSU in to the 6 pin port on the video card...

Good Luck

Cbarnard