Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio VGNFW11M. Please Read and help :(

• Please log in to reply

pheonick

pheonick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I bought a Sony Vaio FW11M (UK Model) and it's still in warranty but as I'm in Australia they won't do anything to it without chargind me a fortune as it's not a worldwide warranty. But that's out of the question.

Anyhow, I was watching a movie with some downloads on and the computer froze. When I restarted it, It kept turning off and on again and again. So I tried to switch it on safe mode, then it was loading safe mode drivers and while doing that it froze. Next step, I tried to switch it on 'Last Known Good Configuration' and the same happened. It won't turn on.

So I took the memory apart and battery apart and left the laptop for half hour, then put the memory back in and switched it on AC power without the battery. No difference.

Then I put in the recovery discs. But guess what? No luck with that either.

Between these two instances it started showing 'No Operating System Found' so I tried reinstalling windows, but windows won't install for some stupid reason, it will just switch on and off back and forth.

Can anyone please help me with it. I'm starting uni soon and don't have my laptop ready and a new one costs a [bleep] lot that my budget.

Any help will be much appreciated. :) Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dead hard drive most likely. You can get new laptop hard drives pretty easily from anywhere.
The only issue you'll encounter is finding where in the Sony laptop they keep the laptop hard drives. Last one I dealt with the entire unit had to be taken literally to pieces to find it - but of course doing this would invalidate the warranty you have on the unit in the UK.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
If you can get the drive out connect it to a IDE/SATA to USB adaptor

Connect it to a computer if its detected run chkdsk /r on the drive

If it is detected you might be able to recover any files before replacing the faulty drive

Sony Vaio FW11M

System Recovery Instructions

http://support.vaio....r...N-FW&m=3341

manuals

http://support.vaio....n...cons&m=3341