Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tracking downloaded files

• Please log in to reply

EddyFrost

EddyFrost

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I want to block all p2p apps from my home wireless network which has a linksys router. Any suggestions?

Edited by EddyFrost, 10 May 2005 - 10:11 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello EddyFrost,
That will be very difficult -- some P2P applications use random ports, so closing those ports would be virtually impossible. Did you have any particular P2P application in mind, or were you just hoping to block all?

EddyFrost

EddyFrost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Dan G

Yes, perticularly Area and Limewire. I am considering simply forwarding any port other than 80 to a non existant internal address of 192.168.1.254

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hm, I know that Limewire uses random ports, but I'm not sure on the range. Area -- I've never heard of this (unless you made a typo and meant Ares?). If you did mean Ares, then this also uses random ports of a wide range.
Your idea should stop P2P applications, but it might also stop other applications as well.

EddyFrost

EddyFrost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oops, yes I did mean Ares!
The forwarding of all ports other than 80 seems to work OK. I have permitted a few ports that are useful - for RDP and VNC. :tazz: