Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 6 Address Book Problem

• Please log in to reply

js10053

js10053

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I turned on my computer this morning everything was working as normal (the computer has been acting up for some time, slow, sluggish, etc. but other than that it was seeming okay), but I went into Outlook Express 6 to check my e-mail and it was not working correctly. I was able to receive my messages just fine, but when I went to reply to an e-mail I got an error message, so I tried to create a message and got another error. Thinking it was just a regular problem with OE I closed it out, waited and re-opened it, still having the same problem so I restarted. Came back up and had the same issues. I cannot reply or create a message and I cannot open the address book or export it. These are the messages I'm getting:

Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install.

Unable to open the Address Book. The Address Book may not be installed properly.

There was an error opening this message.
An error has occurred.

I checked on Microsofts website and they have the errors, but they do not have anything for XP, just older versions of Windows. I found this post: http://www.geekstogo...ss-t209141.html but I cannot find a lot of the things mentioned so it isn't working for me. I spent over an hour in HP's chat and it was basically worthless, I spent most of the time telling him the problem, he was going to have me edit the registry but instead he just decided it would be better to do a system recovery, which I don't really want to do unless I absolutely have to. I do have a restore point from yesterday, but I wasn't sure if I should try that. I also tried logging into another identity in outlook express but I was unable to get it to come up, so I'm not sure if the address book is working there or not... I do have a backup of the address book, but it is from May 9 because I was in the process of moving and was unable to find my drives and things because they were put in the wrong place.

I'm using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP home, if there is anything else just let me know... I'm a pretty basic user so if you can make things as easy as possible that would be great!

I really appreciate any help, this is definitely not how I wanted to start my day.

~~~EDIT~~~

I went onto another chat with HP and they had me run a Windows File Protection scan (via sfc /scannow) and no errors came back and I still have the problem. I also ran a system restore from a restore point yesterday and it came back and said there were no changes so the restore was not done and I'm still having the problem.

Not sure if that helps, but just thought I would add it!

~~~EDIT~~~

I kept reading that I should dry changing all of the .wab files to .old and that would cause OE to open up and start a new address book, but everytime I searched I could not find any .wab files, but I was able to search and find address book. Anyhow, I found online a way that I could go in through command and I believe c root or something and locate the files. By doing that I found three seperate areas with a total of eight .wab files. Two, four and two is how it was split up. Each entry was listed twice, but one entry was .wab and another was .wab~ I first made sure they were all set so that they were not just read only and they were all okay with that, so I then proceeded to change all of the extensions to .old instead. I changed all eight closed and opened outlook express and I'm still getting the same errors.

I did notice one additional problem now and that is that I cannot make the messages larger. I can receive the messages and read them that way, but if I try to open them so they come in a larger window I get the error message:

There was an error opening this message.
An error has occurred.

again.

At this point I pretty much have no idea what to try on my own because everything is way over my head. I'm pretty much just searching the internet and trying anything I can... So, if you need anymore info just let me know.

Thanks again!

~~~EDIT~~~

I was able to get a hold of the person I have my warranty through (I just moved out of state so I wasn't sure if he would be able to help) Anyhow, he was able to get everything so that I can open the messages, reply, etc. but I don't have my e-mail addresses anymore. He said the problem was that the address book was corrupt, but he did back it up. So, my question now is... is there anything any of you recommend that I use to fix my address book?

Thanks again!

Edited by js10053, 29 May 2009 - 01:02 PM.

Advertisements