Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

visual basic question

• Please log in to reply

atlantica

atlantica

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a label that has text. When i load the exe file, i change that text. When i close the exe file and then open it up again, it is back to where it was before i had changed. How can i save the text that is changed? :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to save the contents of the file out, and then load it back in again when you load the program. All data in programs is only temporary until it's saved. You can't save data back to an EXE file.

As to how you do this depends entirely on which version of Visual Basic you're using as the routines are different.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Are you saying i can't save anything in a EXE file?
i have vb 2008

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That is what I'm saying, yes.
If you want to preserve the contents of the label in question, either rebuild the executable file with the label the figure it should be or if it's meant to be dynamic and you want to keep it, you'll need to save it out to a file. All an executable file is a set of instructions with what are best described as default figures, labels and text. Details of how to save data variables out are in the online help file.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
okay, how should i make a file that would tell it to be w/e i change it to?