Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP nightmare

• Please log in to reply

cobelloy

cobelloy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys, my friend just got a new laptop and had to return her old one all over a weekend and with half a day to go she asked me to help get everything from one to the other. So, having never used XP before, but with a solid grounding in Win98 and a smattering of Linux, I discovered the "documents and settings transfer wizard", set up a crossover network and did the transfer, all seemed to go OK. Yesterday she reinstalled her printer software and found she could not print out her uni assignment, so called me again. It appears that MSoffice cant locate the printer, and at the same time My Computer can't find anything to open, it just searches continuously. Uninstalling the printer software fixes that, reinstalling it makes it happen again. Also, when she opens up MSoffice she gets a message saying data has been taken from an SQL database and then that macros wont work. As far as we know there are no databases. I have a hunch that at least part of the problem is in the user accounts, I don't know how to get administrator rights on her computer, there are four accounts and none are called root or admin or anything. One is IT support, I tried that one, but still no luck.

If anyone has any clue for me, or maybe a good from the ground up tutorial I can find free on the net, please help...

thanks

Advertisements