Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

login logut loop fixed but issues remain...

• Please log in to reply

boredom

boredom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
'ello there,
[sys backround Xp pro sp2, this started when I was uninstalling mcafee and the power went out in my home right in the middle of it, restarted my com, mcafee still installed attempt to uninstall again, but the uninstall menu for mcafee was all weird downloaded "perfect uninstaller" and uninstalled rebooted com got the login logout loop]

*I had the login-logout loop last week, after spending hours looking on the net for fixes, I was able to login, using the recovery console[from the 6 folppies] I...

cd system32\config

ren software software.old

copy c:\windows\repair\software

exit

and logged in safe mode...and was going to edit the reg...but I noticed that "userinit.exe," WAS present under both winlogin's[my old hive and new, if I rename the software.old to software I get the login logout loop again]...I restarted the comp normally and am able to login but the whole system is like...brand new I am able to access my old files but they are not avalible under "my docs" i have to go the C: docs and settings to access them. Plus the internet is not working properly ex if I click a pix/link, it wont open I have to drag it to a new window to get to open...an a hand full of programs wont work with the mouse...ex I can click but nothing happens I have to close with alt-f4 plus all my setting are gone...

can anyone help?? <3 This is driving me mad...Am considering getting a windows disc and doing a reinstall...

Edited by boredom, 31 May 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You have copied a generic backup registry file to replace a corrupted or missing hive.
Now you need to restore the registry using the system restore files.

Click on "Fix a Corrupted Registry" in my sig, and read through the entire article. Do the steps at Part 2 to restore your original registry from system restore snapshots.

boredom

boredom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
[solved] :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I luv you!!! :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You are welcome. :) And Good Job! :)
Thank you for coming to Geeks To Go. If you have any more questions or problems, feel free to ask about them.

Hope to see you around again!