Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to put XP on a SETA hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Ole37

Ole37

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi

I have a new computer on order with a SETA hard drive and no operating system pre- installed. Currently I am running Windows XP, SP3 on a soon to be discarded computer. I would like to make a complete copy of my current drive, which is IED controlled, to the SETA system. I understand it is not a simple process.

I also have a second disk on my current system which I use for image back ups. I would like to transfer that drive to the new SETA system for the same backup purpose.

I am in need of a blue print on the procedure to accomplish the transfer.

TIA

Ole37

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I also have a second disk on my current system which I use for image back ups. I would like to transfer that drive to the new SETA system for the same backup purpose.

Just take that hard drive and connect it to your motherboard with the SATA drive.

To clone your other hard drive (IDE) to the SATA one, use Clonezilla.
It runs in memory, so you don't need Windows.
http://clonezilla.org/

For a tut in your scenario, click on "Live CD/USB...." in the right sidebar.
Then click on "step by step examples" a little bit of the page down. Then go to the Save Disk Image tutorial. Then after the image is stored on an external drive, use the Restore Disk Image tutorial to restore the image to your new hard disk.

Edited by edge2022, 31 May 2009 - 04:35 PM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you edge,

Much Appreciated!

Ole37

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

It isn't going to work..

1: The cloned drive will not even start as none of the hardware on the new system will match what Windows is looking for in Registry.

2: It would be against Microsofts EULA to move an installed OEM xo install to a new system. That install is forever married to the old system even if you throw that system in the garbage.

Murray

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

1: The cloned drive will not even start as none of the hardware on the new system will match what Windows is looking for in Registry.

That is true. I read your questions wrong. I thought you were getting a new hard drive, and wanted to clone your old one to it.

In this case, if you want Windows XP, you will need to buy a disc, but XP discs are not sold anymore.
You may want to buy a Vista install disc, or wait for Windows 7 to come out (you could try the RC version though).

Another option would be to use a free OS, such as Linux.
Ubuntu is really good for beginners: http://www.ubuntu.com/

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK

I have the original xp disks, but are you saying that I would have to do a clean install on the new computer?

Ole 37

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No. What we are saying is that it is illegal to use the disks and most likely, if they came with another systenm (Dell, HP, etc), they won't even work.

Murray

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
One license key for one copy of Windows.

On the new computer, you would have to do a clean install, but it won't matter b/c there is nothing on the drive to begin with.