Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox Live Issues

• Please log in to reply

Harrod251

Harrod251

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. My name is Jeremy. Just joined the forum twenty seconds ago. I'm having a problem with Xbox Live.

I have a Netgear WPN824 router and a Westell 6100 Bellsouth DSL modem. I have the DSL modem plugged into one LAN port of my router and I have my Xbox plugged into another LAN port. I have forwarded ports 88, 2074, and 3074.

I'm not sure, though, if I am getting the right IP addresses. My IP address range is between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.253 Those just don't look right. Through my searches on the web about Xbox live I have seen ranges like 192.168.15.2 to 192.168.12.253

I have set my Westell modem to Bridged Ethernet connection rather than PPPoE. Is this normal or with my setup should my DSL modem be set to PPPoE?

I have checked my network configuration after many unsuccessful attempts to fix my router but nothing works. When I check my "attached devices" the only thing that shows is my computer it doesn't even show the Xbox. I have checked to make sure that my router is DHCP enabled and still there is a problem with the IP on my Xbox.

What do I do? Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. I have power cycled all of the devices and that didn't work either.

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hi Jeremy and welcome to Geeks To Go!

Having the modem in Bridged Mode should be fine. You're PC is able to get online correct?

From your PC do the following for me to verify connectivity is all correct:

Step 1 - Determine your Default Gateway and DNS Addresses:
  • Select Start
  • Click Run
  • Type cmd and click Ok
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands:
    • ipconfig /all
  • Make note of the Default Gateway and DNS Servers
Step 2 - Connectivity test:
  • Please type in the following commands into the cmd prompt:
    *Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear*
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping DefaultGateway >> C:\results.txt
    • ping DNSServer1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping DNSServer2 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

Unt