Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A funny one!

• Please log in to reply

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi all. Strange this. My pc worked fine on a standard cable modem. then my son decided he wanted to play PS3 internet games, so I brought a Netgear GS605 from work that I knew worked. I set it up, and there was no problem. then he connected his PS3 and it couldnt get a connection, so I rebooted the router, and his ps3 connected, but my pc didnt. The router shows both ports as green lights, but it still doesnt connect. I tried ipconfig /release then renew, and got a message about could not find dscp server. Either one will connect after a reboot, but not both. Any ideas?
Thanks
davy

Advertisements

wmasmsith

wmasmsith

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Generally the cable modem will only allow one concurrent connection. I'd try logging into the cable modem and see if you can't turn on dhcp. I'll wager when your PC connects it gets the outside IP address not a private. IT may be as simple as turning on dhcp on the modem/router.

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Cheers! But how do I do that? I have tried to connect to the router using 192.168.1.1 and had no joy. There is no mention of the documentation on ip address in the router manual, and the Modem was installed by telewest so there is no documentation with it
Thanks Again

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thinking about it, surely as far as the modem is concerned there is only one connection, the uplink to the router. Is that not so?
Davy

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Do an Ipconfig on your computer. What is your current ip address? Is it a private IP? Like 192.168.100?

Also, most Netgear routers seem to use 192.168.0.1, with a default username of admin, and default password of password.

Edited by Cold Titanium, 02 June 2009 - 10:36 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi all. Strange this. My pc worked fine on a standard cable modem. then my son decided he wanted to play PS3 internet games, so I brought a Netgear GS605 from work that I knew worked. I set it up, and there was no problem. then he connected his PS3 and it couldnt get a connection, so I rebooted the router, and his ps3 connected, but my pc didnt. The router shows both ports as green lights, but it still doesnt connect. I tried ipconfig /release then renew, and got a message about could not find dscp server. Either one will connect after a reboot, but not both. Any ideas?

Hardly surprising considering the Netgear GS605 is a Gigabit network switch, not a router.

What exactly have you got now? The standard Virgin box isn't a router as such, it's only a modem. If you want that switch to be used you need to have a DSL router if you haven't got one already. The switch on it's own is no good.