Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts itself down (hardware suspected)

• Please log in to reply

JCPatterson

JCPatterson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Sony Vaio K-27 (6yr old laptop) shuts itself down after about a minute or two. I am running XP Pro SP 2, however I believe the issue to be hardware related (no clue what or how to figure out what though).

Steps taken thus far to assess problem.

1) Normal boot, dies during windows loading screen (with the progress bar)

2) Safe mode with networking boot, dies while loading (scrolling of files)

3) Booted with a Hiren's boot disk. Navigated through menus to the testing tool of my choice (the troubleshooter 9.0) and then it dies.

It seemed to die in all three of these attempts after about the same amount of time. Need some advice please.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without being able to run any diagnostic on the system due to the turning off it will be hard to say.
If i was to guess i would say you may have one of the following problems:

1: PSU is faulty or Battery
2: Faulty or damaged MOBO
3: Over heating problem with CPU

In any of the above scenarios it would be wise to take it to a shop and have them diagnose the problem. Being as you have tried to keep the system running and it seems to fail at about the same amount of time I would say a computer shop is going to be the only way to have it checked. :)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
With a laptop it might be a bit more difficult, but you should check the fans and the vents. It might be that the fan has died or it is not getting good enough air flow and it is causing it to overheat and shutdown.