Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless issues in conjunction with comcast

• Please log in to reply

prodigy60

prodigy60

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all!

soooo here's a fun one for you, i can't begin to figure out what's causing my issue after several very specific google searches and as a last resort i'm hitting forums.

Hopefully someone will have some input.

so here goes:

i have 2 routers, one 8.0 and one 8.2 linksys wrt54g, the 8.0 is running dd-wrt firmware and the 8.2 is running current linksys oem firmware.

i've used the 8.2 as a "master" if you will, using dhcp to assign addresses to computers on the network and so on, while the 8.0 was a slave, merely acting as a wireless bridge to a remote computer in a different part of the house (no dhcp). (yes, i could've just bought a wireless card but i'm incredibly cheap and already had 2 routers!)

this setup was functioning just fine until about 3-4 days ago. I'm not sure what happened where, however my wireless from the "master", the 8.2 running oem firmware, just keeps dropping, i mean totally and completely dropping to the point where my network doesn't even show up in the connection manager within windows. This happens several times a day, and as a result, i decided to say screw it and swap the 8.2 for the 8.0 dd-wrt and just run a 100' cable to the remote desktop.

now, you'd think this would solve the problem, however, surprise surprise, the exact same problem repeats itself on a different hardware revision, different firmware (the 8.0).

I'm totally at a loss in regard to whats is causing the issue. i'm convinced it has something to do with comcast as i've changed my wireless frequency repeatedly just in case there was some sort of interaction issues with other networks in the area. I've changed the frequency systematically, one by one each time my network has gone down to no avail. I've attempted to use netstumbler to keep track of my wireless connection stats, however it's not exactly compatible with the wireless card in my netbook, nor the other laptop in the house and just doesnt function as it should.

more to the point though, the network itself, with regards to the hardwired computer functions just fine with no issues. connectivity is maintained 100% of the time as long as the computer is hardwired, while the wireless itself sometimes completely dies and doesn't come back up, other times it does within a few minutes.

Hopefully this random jumble of thoughts will provide some insight into my issue, and possibly spark some ideas...

Please let me know if you have any thoughts! Thanks!

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello prodigy60, and Welcome to Geeks To Go. As I understand the router running 8.2 was the master broadcasting a wireless network which has stopped working. In your attempt to solve the problem you moved the 8.0 router to the main location and began broadcasting a wireless network from this router instead. Both appeared to have the same problem.

Any time I had connectivity problems such as these they were always due to the wireless channel I was using. It would be beneficial if NetStumbler was working enough to check what channels in your signal area are already in use and to use something different. Sometimes your wireless software can show this information as well when looking for wireless networks. I can't see how this could be a problem with Comcast unless your modem is broadcasting a wireless network as well. If this is the case then let me know.

Unt