Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to certain websites

• Please log in to reply

fxu

fxu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This has been happening for a while. I tried searching for a solution but couldn't find any.

I haven't been able to connect to certain websites such as free.avg and malwarebytes.org and avira.com

This also means that I can't update those applications through the program itself. The only way to go to those sites is if I go through a proxy.

I currently have no anti-virus as I uninstalled AVG. But I'm downloading Avira AntiVir.

The one thing that I find strange is that it's every site about anti-virus or anti-malware that I can't connect to. The computer hasn't been acting up in the least besides this thing of not connecting to those sites.

Windows XP SP2
Firefox 3.0 (also tried it in IE and they don't work)

Edited by fxu, 02 June 2009 - 09:55 AM.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
The machine sounds infected.

Please visit - http://www.geekstogo...rials-f121.html

Create a new topic and someone will help you.

fxu

fxu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, the problem has been resolved.

I've had AVG Free for quite a while now, I did scans every 3-4 days and it never picked up anything.

Today I uninstalled it and installed Avira AntiVir and it picked up 2 infections. It seems that those were the ones causing trouble because I can visit the site now.

TR/Dropper.Gen Trojan
TR/Virtl.9013 Trojan

Good bye AVG. Hello Avira.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Something extra to consider for an added layer of convenience.

MVPS host file - http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.zip

It will block many malicious sites & ad's. highly recommended.