Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SQL server error and very slow computer, is it related?

• Please log in to reply

electronixplus

electronixplus

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I am trying to help my girlfriend with her computer
Dell 2.8ghz
windows xp
512mp ram

Her computer has been very slow.

WHen it boots, I get an error message.

SQL Server installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with. (could not oen SQLEVN70.RLL) Please uninstall then re-run to correct this problem.

From what I can tell, I don't need this program, but I can't find where to get rid of it.?? Can any one help with that.

So here is the problem and what I have tried.

Boot up takes approx. 4-6 min. before i can do anything. Also, once booted, the programs load slow. Internet explorer takes almost a min or more to open, once it is open things seem to be reasonably quick.

Here is a list of what I have done.

1. First thing I did was clean out her computer inside. It was a mess!!

2. Then I installed new virus protection (ca security suite 2009)
138 items found, 29 of which were trojans. I set to quarantine.

3. Did a defrag

4. Ran disk error check

5. unchecked some of the programs in the startup menu.

Computer is still slow, My only thought now is the memory, it is only 512mb, do you think it needs more??

Any suggestions , any help appreciated. THanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two suggestions come to mind quick. First:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

And Second and more important:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What is installed the requires the use of SQL? Sometimes certain programs will install SQL 2005 locally. If you are not sure, then just simply remove Microsoft SQL Server 2005 from Add/Remove Programs. Reboot and see if it speeds up.

Edited by Cilix, 02 June 2009 - 08:23 PM.

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
This is directed to both replies

I do not find Microsoft SQL Server 2005 in the Add/Remove Programs, so where do I go to physically remove it??

Also, check out this, http://www.troublefi...ong-to-boot-up/

I checked the system in question, only has 512mb ram installed, PF usage is at 532mb, looks like an issue to me?? Should I definetly install more ram??

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

This is directed to both replies

I do not find Microsoft SQL Server 2005 in the Add/Remove Programs, so where do I go to physically remove it??

Also, check out this, http://www.troublefi...ong-to-boot-up/

I checked the system in question, only has 512mb ram installed, PF usage is at 532mb, looks like an issue to me?? Should I definetly install more ram??

The pagefile uses hard disk space, it acts as virtual memory. I would recommmend installing some new RAM though, 1GB should be suitable. Also, I would suggest you download WhatsRunning here http://www.whatsrunn...g/Download.aspx

Lets see what else is running on this box.

Also, try this.

Start -> Run. In the run box type services.msc
Search for SQLagent$MICROSOFTBCM, do you see it?

Edited by Cilix, 02 June 2009 - 08:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm more worried about the infections that were found. Trojans have a nasty habit of disguising themselves and can still be on your system.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 June 2009 - 11:21 PM.

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
thanks, i will try your suggestions and post back tomorrow

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
rshaffer61,

Thank you for the advice. I ran all the tests as you instructed. Malwarebytes found over 200 objects. I removed and continued with the rest of the steps.
I also installed a stick of 256 memory that i had on hand. Computer now boots in 2 minutes instead of 6.
Everything seems to be working nicely, however when i boot I still get the SQLserver error.

as suggested by Clixix:

Also, try this.

I did this, it says Windows cannot find 'SQLagent$agentMICROSOFT'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click start.

So any suggestions on how to get rid of the SQLserver error??

Thanks for your help.
Nancy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you start a topic in the Malware Forum and did you get assistance from them to go over and check your logs?
They can run some powerful scans and fixes that will make sure the problem is still not hidden in your system?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

rshaffer61,

Thank you for the advice. I ran all the tests as you instructed. Malwarebytes found over 200 objects. I removed and continued with the rest of the steps.
I also installed a stick of 256 memory that i had on hand. Computer now boots in 2 minutes instead of 6.
Everything seems to be working nicely, however when i boot I still get the SQLserver error.

as suggested by Clixix:

Also, try this.

I did this, it says Windows cannot find 'SQLagent$agentMICROSOFT'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click start.

So any suggestions on how to get rid of the SQLserver error??

Thanks for your help.
Nancy

I apologize, i did not mean for you to search for it, my mistake. When you bring up the Services box, scroll down and look for that entry.

Advertisements

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Yes now I see it. SQLagent$MICROSOFT
it is listed, now what do I do ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just looked at your Malware topic and you don't have any of the requested logs in your reply. Please go back to the tutorial and post the requested logs as a Tech will need them to help you in that forum. Thank you and when you are done then please post back here once the tech has given you a clean bill of health. I can then instruct you with some more help if needed.
If you need to post a link to this topic also in your malware topic so that the tech there can see what we have done here to assist you. :) :)

electronixplus

electronixplus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I highlighted it and tried to start it.
It gives me same error message.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Set it to disabled and reboot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
While Cilix is working on your SQL problem I would like to take a look at your system a little more to see what my next suggestions will be for helping you to get your system running faster.

Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"