Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After I shut down, computer turns back on

• Please log in to reply

jbird99

jbird99

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This just started happening today. Everytime I shutdown my computer, it turns back on 4-5 seconds later. I have checked all the Wake On settings in the BIOs. I have updated to the newest BIOs. I have checked all the connections on the motherboard. Still haven't solved the problem. I really would like to get this fixed. What have I overlooked? Thanks for your help.

More info: I uninstalled my 9800GTX+ video card. Rebooted into safe mode and ran Driver Cleaner. Shutdown and installed my new ATI 4870. After the install i booted on and noticed my windows clock was set back to 2002. I changed the date and thought all was fine. Now I shutdown and the PC turns back on.

Edited by jbird99, 02 June 2009 - 10:26 PM.

Advertisements

ahero4heor

ahero4heor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have this problem myself and I'm sure that it is hardware related because multiple operating systems (Linux, Windows and UNIX) have the same problem. By chance, what motherboard do you have?

kevinf80

kevinf80

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 104 posts
Hi there,

Have a read HERE It covers the majority reasons that cause the problems you`re having.

Kev...

Edited by kevinf80, 04 June 2009 - 06:17 AM.

ahero4heor

ahero4heor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Wait... It doesn't say anything about shutting down, though.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
What kind of keyboard are you using? (May seem like a random question, but could be crucial)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
This problem seems pretty popular. From what I can find, most of the problems like this, when they are NOT due from BIOS settings, are caused by:

Keyboards and mice
Motherboard battery
PSU
Modems or other ethernet or phone line cable links

You can start canceling some of these things off the list, (unplug all ethernet cables and phone lines)(try other key board and mice, or {if none are available} try shutting down with the mouse alone {keyboard unplugged} or the keyboard alone {mouse unplugged, Press windows logo and navigate with arrow keys}, try another power supply, or replace motherboard battery. The battery is cheap, but the power supply may not be.)

Some programs can also cause wake up after shutdown, but this is very rare.