Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware - WinBlueSoft - unable to remove popups; unable to launch any

• Please log in to reply

gdm1005

gdm1005

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is the first time I've had to seek online help. I'm pretty tech-savvy and have been able to resolve issues on my own, including any malware attacks, viruses, etc - I keep my apps up to date - using Bit Defender (AV)& latest version of Malwarebytes. HOWEVER, I got fooled by this WinBluesoft crap - came bundled with a codec...ackkk!!! I uninstalled it immediately, which was probably not the best move, since it just won't go away. And although I ran Malwarebytes which seemed to detect some components of this malware (deleted trojans relevant to them); I'm still getting all the usual WinBlueSoft pop-ups. Live and learn, I guess.

I've updated and run malwarebytes (winXP pro sp2). Have another backup laptop I'm able to work from as I troubleshoot the problem laptop. HUGE issue is I'm unable to run any executables like, taskmgr.exe, regedit.exe on the problem laptop, as well as any of the geekstogo malware software. ie: can't run SystemRestore, RootKit Detector, TFC, etc, etc. - I'm being blocked by some sort of "blocking" dll. When I attempt to launch a GOOD executable to get rid of this mess, I get a "Process terminated...harmful memory infection detected" message. I'm pretty much stuck and have put in some significant hours already trying to get rid of this WinblueSoft mess. Any help/ideas is much appreciated.

Advertisements

gdm1005

gdm1005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This has been resolved. Here's what I did and may work for others - wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be although, I spent nearly a day and a half figuring it out: since I was unable to use any of my GOOD executables due to the WinBlueSoft blocker.dll; I located that - c:\windows\system32\blocker.dll - and renamed the blocker.dll to plinker.dll since I was unable to delete it. Regardless, it rendered the dll harmless and I was then able to do a system restore to the day before yesterday. I'm all good now! Oh, one note...when I did a system restore, the "black screen" was still on my desktop, that was easy to fix as it was a modified theme so, I just selected another desktop/background and I'm back in shape. Also - just in case - I did a full malware scan (I have latest version of Malwarebytes) as well as a full viruscan (I use BitDefender 2009) and it seems I finally got rid of that pesky WinBlueSoft! Good ridance. I'll think twice now about downloading any codec or anything else!

Hope this helps some of you :-)

THIS ISSUE CAN BE CLOSED. THANKS!