Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

...so I upgraded my RAM

• Please log in to reply

gfolkins

gfolkins

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 1.60 Ghz Intel computer running Windows XP Professional service pack 3. It had 256 MB of RAM an hour ago, now it has 2 GB. I put it in myself no problem. Windows recognizes it, and I do see considerable improvements...

HOWEVER, I have to boot in safe mode! (I am in safe mode with networking as I write this) and have no problems in safe mode, other than the obvious limitations of safe mode.

If I boot up regularly, my system just hangs. It locks up. Freezes. Becomes completely unresponsive. The mouse pointer will not even move when I move the mouse. I made absolutely no other modifications to my system other than going from 256MB to 2 GB of RAM. I looked everywhere in the control panel and cannot find anything.

Is there a setting in Windows XP I am supposed to change while in safe mode to make sure it doesn't freeze up? It NEVER froze up before (granted it was slow at 256MB, but never frozen).

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerald

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
What kind of RAM did you install? (DDR, DDR2.. etc.) Do you know what the max allowed ram is on the motherboard?

-Jason

gfolkins

gfolkins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, after determining from reading the manual for my motherboard that came with my computer, I discovered that I could have a maximum of 2 gigabytes. My motherboard supports SDRAM and DDR sdram. I purchased two 1 GB sticks of DDR Ram (266 mhz, as recommended by the manual). I removed the old RAM because the book said my old SD RAM would not be compatible with my DDR ram. So all I have now is two 1024MB 266 mhz ecc DDR Ram. It's manufactured by Ultra, I ordered it from Tiger Direct.

Also, I discovered that Microsoft, on their website, has a program you can download that will physically test your RAM for defects. It does 11 different tests. I downloaded and ran that program, and there were absolutely no problems with the RAM.

I am 100% certain that what I purchased is compatible with my computer, that I installed it correctly, and that the ram is physically free from defects.

The system hangs after certain programs have loaded during bootup. Before I disabled several, it would load my firewall, my avg, and other software and then freeze. I disabled those programs from starting during bootup (except for avg, my antivirus software). There are likely more startup programs I can disable, I'm just not 100% sure which ones I safely can disable from startup.

But I believe it to be something, such as a driver, not loading correctly since I upgraded the memory. It's like the upgrade shocked something into not wanting to load when I normally boot.

If you have any ideas based on this I'd certainly appreciate them and am willing to try anything. I fear I may have to format and reinstall everything, and I don't want it to have to come to that.

Thanks,
Gerald

What kind of RAM did you install? (DDR, DDR2.. etc.) Do you know what the max allowed ram is on the motherboard?

-Jason