Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen issue a little diff. from others I read!

• Please log in to reply

missionnam

missionnam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was moving the desk that my computer sits (forgetting that it was on) in, a fairly smooth move in my opinion... but shortly after moving the desk the 2 or so feet I looked up at the monitor, saw some kind of script flash on a blue screen and disapear just as quickly. The comp automatically began to reboot. The initial black screen appears that promps you to push delete if you want to enter the bios and then loads into a black, blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.
Now where this seems to differ from other entries I read is in my inability to enter safemode, bios, or boot from disk. I tried another hard drive and same thing happened... when both hard drives are unplugged same kind of thing (which makes me wonder if its a hardware issue). Or perhaps I need to try putting the disk in to get anywhere further than the load page with my second hard drive? Windows is not yet on it you see, but I assumed not to bother trying to boot from the disk for an install since I had no control in entering the bios this way either. I concluded that it must be something other than my hard drives. Other entries talked about something similar but they seemed to be able to enter other modes, or recover, or get another drive working for a data transfer, but no matter what button I push I can't avoid the subsequent black, blank page with the blinking cursor that does nothing. Oh, and did I mention that whenever I try typing anything I hear a click inside my comp case per button pushed... like the ino sent by the button has nowhere to go, no meaning, functionality... it's not a beep, but a click, kin of like the tick of a hand in a clock.
I've never typed in a forum before, and I don't know much about troubleshooting computers except for some really basic computer logic (and even there I'm sure I'm lacking), so I don't know what kind of info. is needed to help. If anyone feel that it could be software related please let me know of your suggestions, if you think that this sounds hardware could you share your thoughts on that with me and tell me what piece most likely needs replacing? All I know about my current specs is that I use windows xp professional; a Gigabyte K8N-SLI Motherboard, and I just recently bought a new video card, and power supply (Radeon 4850 HD 512mb [or whatever]), though I don't think its either of those. After the new card and PS where installed things worked fine for a whole day. If it were the card I wouldn't see a thing, or register with the monitor, it it were the PS... well, it wouldn't turn on. Thanks for reading this long winded bit, my computer, and potential expenses are at the mercy of anyone's willingness to share their knowledge with me. Thanks!

Advertisements

kevinf80

kevinf80

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 104 posts
Hi there,

If your issues have only started since you changed the PS and Video card i`d suspect that is where your trouble probably lies.
Does your PC complete the "power on self test" (post) sucessfully. When you boot you should here one beep as it boots up, does this happen?
Your PC will have an onboard port from the motherboard for your monitor as opposed to the card port, try that to see if it makes a difference.
Also just because it boots this does not confirm the PS was installed ok, there could easily be a slack connection somewhere, I`d recheck all connections and even reseat the graphics card while you`re inside.
You say you cannot boot into safe mode or enter the BIOS, what happens when you try?
Do you have a floppy disc drive? if so is there a disc in, I know this basic stuff, but it is the basics that are sometimes overlooked.

Kev.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What was the wattage on old? PSU Make and Model
What is wattage on new? PSU Make and Model

Edited by rshaffer61, 04 June 2009 - 08:39 AM.

missionnam

missionnam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your willingness to help. I have since learned through much trial and error that something must have happned to my me second hard drive. I haven't had the time to figure out what is wrong, or how serious, but the drive does have a lot of family photos and stuff on it, and my wife isnt to happy about the whole thing. This slave drive must have caused the black screen, and inability to load windows which is odd, it worked before the move. When unhooked and only the windows drive remained, all went well. I'm inclined to think that it's probably serious since I saw that momentary blue screen shortly after setting my desk down, followed by the many dead end loads. Any thoughts?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK just a suggestion to test if the 2nd HD is indeed bad or not.
I see you have two IDE controllers on your MOBO.
I suggest if you put the 2nd HD on the 2nd IDE ribbon by itself. Then try to boot up the system. This way it will not interfere with the main drive booting up.
If you have a cdrom drive it is probably on that 2nd IDE controller by itself now. Just unhook it and hook the 2nd drive in it's place.

Pleas let us know what the results are. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 June 2009 - 12:15 PM.