Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What hardware do I need for creating network?

• Please log in to reply

shaly777

shaly777

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and a Compaq Presario 6000. I have my Dell connected to AT&T Yahoo DSL via a Motorola single port modem. I want to hook up the Presario in the office and leave the Dell in the dining room. I read your post: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Internet-Connection-Sharing-Windows-XP-t92406.html and it doesn't work for me, because when I got to the step where I would choose "This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect through this computer" it told me I could not do that. I am assuming that's because I have a single port modem. So, What hardware do I need? I went to Circuit City last night to get a 'Wireless Router' but when I got there I realized that I really didn't know what I needed to buy, there were so many options. Can you help me? Do I just need any kind of wireless router? And is that ALL? Or do I need some additional type of 'antenna' or something? I'm so frustrated! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Any wireless router should suffice.

Heres a D-Link on sale from Buy.com http://www.buy.com/p.../204556589.html

Are you planning on making both those desktops wireless or plug line in via a cable?

Edited by Cilix, 04 June 2009 - 12:35 PM.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well, I already have the one (Dell) set up and all I wanna do is hook the other one up too. I really don't care if they are wireless or not. But they are going to be in separate rooms, and I didn't know if I needed to get another modem from my ISP or what. I don't know very much about it at all. I guess it's not like telephone service (or electric) in that you just plug it into the wall and it works.So, I was just wanting to know what I need to do to make it all work. If I get a wireless router and connect it to the Dell, which is connected to modem, then do I need to get a wireless card and put inside the presario (second computer)? And then the card will receive 'computer waves' from the dining room where the Dell & modem & router are???

(I really am not literate in this at all!) :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
You only need one modem.

Edit: will give better answer when I get home.

Edited by Cold Titanium, 04 June 2009 - 02:00 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Nope, you only need a single modem. Your modem is the point that terminates from your ISP to you. Most routers will have 4 ports to plug in to, for up to 4 wired clients and virtually an unlimited amount of wireless clients. So deciding if you want to put in a wireless card in the Presario machine or just hook it up via a wire is completely up to your discretion. I would recommend wired since it is more reliable. If you decide to go wireless, then yes the machine will pick up the wireless signal coming from the router.

Let us know how you wish to proceed so we can set this up!

Edited by Cilix, 04 June 2009 - 03:29 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
To get everything working wirelessly, you will need to connect the modem to the routers WAN port with a section of Ethernet cable. The two computers will need some sort of wireless card installed.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I've got the router installed...and I'm about to run the cd. I hope it works! Thanks guys! I'll let ya know! :)

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi!! :) I have it working! Thank you so much! Now I was just wondering what is the thing about a firewall? I can't have one running with this network, or what?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
You need a firewall installed on each computer. HERE is a list of some good free ones.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
How do I know if I already have one or not? Because it says don't have more than one. :)

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Do you have any anti-viruses installed? Like Norton or McAfee?

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have avast!home edition, MBAM & SASW.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I'm guessing SASW stands for SuperAntiSpyware? Do you have anything like ZoneAlarm or Comodo installed? If not then you don't have a firewall(Windows firewall won't do) I use ZoneAlarm. It's up to you which one you want.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK...so disable windows and add one of the others? COOL! Thanks! And yes...SASW: SuperAntiSpyWare. Thanks again!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Your router also has a built in firewall for another added layer of protection.