Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD C000021a

• Please log in to reply

keylay295

keylay295

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a dell inspiron 6000 that's about 4 years old. About a year ago I replaced the hard drive to one just under double the original size. The past couple of months, my computer has been taking longer to start up and getting really hot as well as a dramatically decreased battery life. Last night, my computer shut itself off due to temperature. When I tried to restart it today, I got a BSOD stop:C000021a (fatal system error) message with a status of 0xc000026c. I cannnot reboot in safe or normal mode and trying to reboot using the last successful attempt brings me back to the same BSOD. The system appears to load but then aborts about the same moment that it would normally go from the windows screen to the login screen. My OS is windows XP. Any help?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241, if you have Windows CD.

keylay295

keylay295

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks but that didn't quite do the trick. I do have the cd but I do not have a driver or user32 issue according to the message. I tried to rename user32 but my computer cannot find the file. The second line of the stop message says 'Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of Oxc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down'

Is it possible that I have a larger problem with the harddrive itself from overheating? I ran the windows XP diagnostic that it prompted me to run after the first overheating message and it came back fine. The restart after that dianostic is when I started to get the stop message. Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

after the first overheating message

Have you ever had overheating message?

keylay295

keylay295

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes. I've gotten it twice. The first time was earlier this week and everything seemed fine, ran diagonstics and whatnot and just watched my computer and there was no issue until today. I got it again when I turned my computer on this morning, ran same diagnostics which did not find a problem. After that, XP restarted and that's when the stop message came up.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What is the exact message?
How old is the computer?
Have you ever cleaned it inside?

keylay295

keylay295

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer has shut down twice and then I've let it cool. The message on restart was something about the temperature being too high and then running some form of diagnostic before loading windows and then restarting the system. I don't recall any specifics.

The computer is 4 years old.

And no.

Thanks for all your help ths far.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
With a warning like that, you have to stop using the machine. Otherwise, you may cause permanent damage.
Get a can of compressed air.
While computer off, open the case, and clean it well inside with compressed air.
Turn it on, and see, if all fans are running.
See, if cleaning helped, and the computer is able to stay on for a longer time.
If so...

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

keylay295

keylay295

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is something that I will do but I still can't boot my computer. When trying to load Windows, my computer goes through pretty much the entire process and then I get bsod instead of my login in screen. My fans are working properly, I've run the diganostic on them. But my screen goes to bsod and says:

STOP: c00021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initilization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I assume, you missed the first part of my previous reply...