Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer 3680 Restore Failure

• Please log in to reply

raebelk

raebelk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
on the C Drive there is 8.69 GB free of 24.1 GB

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
OK, things are a bit clearer to me now.

I suspect that your C: drive is the OS drive. The D: drive is an unknown, while the E: drive is for your data.

So, if you look at the C: drive, it should have the standard Windows installation on it. The E: drive should be empty (or nearly so). I suspect that the D: drive is a recovery partition - but you'll have to investigate that to see.

Still, the advice remains the same - use the Data partition to save your files, and to install programs to. Otherwise you'll eventually end up with an overfull C: drive and will have to uninstall stuff in order to make room on it.

FYI - it's recommended that you have at least 15% free space on each partition (unless it's a recovery partition). The reason for this is so that Windows can perform background operations without slowing the system down. Recovery partitions don't need this as there's nothing significant that Windows does to them - so there's no need for the free space restriction to be so large.

raebelk

raebelk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for the help and advice. I never realized that my system was set up that way. I always had an overfilled C drive. I didn't understand why I was always out of room. Thanks again for everything!