Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Issue Not Yet Resolved] Gateway Laptop Blank Screen Disply Problem

• Please log in to reply

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have No idea what happened but my mothers laptop wont display anything at all, whatsoever. the Laptop comes on, I hear the fan going but nothing else Happens... :) please Help me, im worried :) ...

Edited by Cazatuz, 05 June 2009 - 03:27 PM.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Try hooking it up to an external monitor (do this before you turn it on).
There usually are keys to press to switch between the display and the external monitor. Press the Fn key and that key (the one with the picture of 2 monitors on it) and it should switch between the 2.

If you don't get a display, then it's another problem that we'll have to troubleshoot.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

There usually are keys to press to switch between the display and the external monitor. Press the Fn key and that key (the one with the picture of 2 monitors on it) and it should switch between the 2.

If you don't get a display, then it's another problem that we'll have to troubleshoot.

Please explain & elaborate as if I know Absolutely Nothing about computers.

1st of all, what is a external monitor??

--------------------------------------------
:) thanks, reply soon please

Edited by Cazatuz, 05 June 2009 - 03:24 PM.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Please explain & elaborate as if I know Absolutely Nothing about computers.

1st of all, what is a external monitor??

--------------------------------------------
:) thanks, reply soon please

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
An external monitor is a monitor that attaches to a computer (not the built in kind on a laptop).
It will have a plug like this: Posted Image You'll also have to make sure that the external monitor is plugged into the wall for power.

The Gateway laptop will have a small plug on the side or back that has 3 rows of holes in it.
Posted Image That's where the plug from the monitor will plug in.

If you start the computer with the external monitor plugged in, you can usually see an image on the external monitor when the system starts (if the laptop is working properly). Once the system is turned on you usually need to press 2 keys to switch to the external monitor.

To do this, locate the key marked "Fn" - usually in the lower left part of the keyboard (near the Ctrl key). Then locate the key marked with 2 little monitor pictures (usually in the same color as the color of the letters of the "Fn" key. Once the laptop is turned on and has run for a minute or so, press and hold the "Fn" key while pressing the one with the 2 little monitor pictures on it.

This article states that the F4 key is the one to use - but it may be different with your computer.
Here's the article (you won't be able to do steps 5 - 10): http://support.gatew.../5376faq9.shtml

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
O.k I tried it, What i did was take the plug connecting my moniter to the Windows XP Emachines Desktop PC im using now & put it inside of the Gateway laptop. I trieed pressing FN & stuff but I still got No Screen, My PC didnt even seem aware that it was connected to the Laptop. I think I did it Right :)

I Still Got No Screen so does that mean the Laptop has some other screen problem?? :) any other alternative solutions??

Edited by Cazatuz, 06 June 2009 - 09:51 AM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
This means that the video display isn't working.
The fan operating means that power is getting to the fan.

Try putting your ear against the case to see if you hear any of the noises here: http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php If so, then it may be that your hard drive is damaged.

Most of our tools work by displaying results, so if you can't get a display of anything then I'd guess that it was time to take the laptop to a shop for an estimate.

Cazatuz

Cazatuz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

This means that the video display isn't working.
The fan operating means that power is getting to the fan.

Try putting your ear against the case to see if you hear any of the noises here: http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php If so, then it may be that your hard drive is damaged.

Most of our tools work by displaying results, so if you can't get a display of anything then I'd guess that it was time to take the laptop to a shop for an estimate.

I Knew It!!, My Mothers Lap top is Completely Screwed!!, :) :)

I wish there was a Such thing as Fail proof computers, were every little important program is impossible to change or be tampered with by Viruses.

Edited by Cazatuz, 07 June 2009 - 10:36 AM.