Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP 550 Vista to be restored. How?

• Please log in to reply

tiennie

tiennie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello. My name is Tiennie. New to the forum.
I have a problem with HP 550 Vista that I need to restore to factory installation.
This thing does not give me any option to do so nor do I make a recovery disk when new.
System restore does not take me back far enough to sort out the problem on the pc.

I managed to download a disk to restore drivers but not the operating system.
I do have a older Vista Home Basic installation disk but does not accept the installation code on the Hp 550.

Is there a option to download Vista Home Basic installation from the internet?
If not how can I access the HP Recovery partition so I can restore to factory state.

Thanks

Tiennie

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What is exact HP model? HP 550 is not full model name.
Since it has Vista on it, I assume it's not that old.
Pressing F11 key at HP logo should bring you to recovery partition.

tiennie

tiennie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is an HP 550, that is all it says apart from the serial number. CNU9092QPF.

This is the problem!!!!.....

There is not even the option of F11. This is what blows me down.
The only options there are will be F9 - Boot Options F10 - Rom Based Setup and F12 Network booting.

I even tried to force it down by removing the battery so it has to stop like a power failure and then try to boot and see if I can get a repait/recover option, and nothing. Just a Safe Mode Screen.

This is how far I am with this frustrating thing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your system Here?

tiennie

tiennie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes that is the one
Dual core with vista home basic

Edited by tiennie, 06 June 2009 - 01:18 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
According to the info on HP Backup and recovery manager found HERE , it looks like he has no recovery partition. F11 should get him in, and after a restart, he should get the request to start recovery on his screen.

You can contact HP for recovery CD/DVD. They should not cost much.

Also, what problems are you having, and maybe we can sort them out and keep you from having to do a destructive recovery. A recovery to day 1 will delete all your data (unless you backed up). All custom settings will be gone and any programs you have installed will have to be re-installed.

tiennie

tiennie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank for the reply.

Took HDD out and installed on other pc as slave and there is a recovery partition.
It does not have the F11 option at all.

I happened to have a virgin HP550, just arrived and it is the same. So by default no F11 option on HP 550.

I finally took brand new one and cloned the hdd and then cloned it on to problem 550.
After that it needed to do recovery and done a factory reset.

Now have a clone of HP550 and will keep for other customers having problems with system recovery.

Thanks all for the help.

mckenzietony

mckenzietony

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hello i have the exact same problem can sum 1 help me please thanks :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
mckenzietony,

Can you create your own topic please for 2 reasons. Even though the problem may look similar the resolution can be different. Also you will get lost among this topic and may get no help at all because we look at trhe number of posts on a topic to see if anyone has responded. This topic already has responces.

123runner

tiennie....glad to see you got it sorted out.

Sabbir

Sabbir

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Thank for the reply.

Took HDD out and installed on other pc as slave and there is a recovery partition.
It does not have the F11 option at all.

I happened to have a virgin HP550, just arrived and it is the same. So by default no F11 option on HP 550.

I finally took brand new one and cloned the hdd and then cloned it on to problem 550.
After that it needed to do recovery and done a factory reset.

Now have a clone of HP550 and will keep for other customers having problems with system recovery.

Thanks all for the help.

hi im having same problem and theres no F11 option or esc option (my manual says theres esc option to recover) to recover. pls help, will i have to clone the hdd? how?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Sabbir

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

CoWBoY588

CoWBoY588

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's the solution... at least for me it was.

Like everyone else I've been looking on the internet for how to recover my HP550.
What do you find... in Vista go to Recovery Manager and restore to its original factory state.
But the restore function in Vista didn't fix the problem for me.
So how do I get to the Recovery Manager on startup.
Again I refered to the internet.
Then you'l find an option F11.
I've tried it all but F11 didn't work for me.
So I began to wonder if there even is a recovery partition on the HP550.
I can see a recovery partition, so let's hope there's something on it.. hihi.
What now? Back to the internet!
Then i've found the HP 550 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide.
In section 8 i found the next lines about how to recover the original hard drive image using F11.

3. Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu”
message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
4. Press f11 while the “Press <F11> for recovery” message is displayed on the screen.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

I never used the F11 key :) , but the ESC key did it for me.
Hit ESC several times on startup, in the menu you'll get use F8 to go to the advanced options.
Select: Restore harddrive to its original factory state.
Follow the instructions. That's it!

I hope to get some possitive replies.

Good Luck!!!

David van G.
The Netherlands

juan salazar

juan salazar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I FOUND THE REAL SOLUTION. I STARTED THE SYSTEM. I DID PRESS F8 BUTTON. THEN I SELECTED "REAPAIR SYSTEM". WHEN THE PANNEL DID APPEAR I SELECTED RECOVERY FROM MANAGER(IT IS THE ONE THAT AT THE END OF THE LIST"REPAIR START SYSTEM" "MEMORY DIAGNOSE" "RESTORE FROM BACK UP, ETC. . I CHOOSE THE AGREEMENT. RECOVERY MANAGER DID STARTS THE WORK.

calvo86

calvo86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok guy i have the solution F7 is the right key for the hp550 i found it out by trying and i found the recovery with F7 they will ask you a lot of options you take recovery good luck guy and girls :thumbsup: