Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Error STOP C1F5

• Please log in to reply

~Jess~

~Jess~

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Having trouble with my Dad's PC - HP Pavillion Slimline(S3215UK) - Windows Vista Home Premium - AMD Sepron

The Problem
Whenever I turn the PC on, it loads up the Blue screen stating Error STOP C1F5
Nothing has been installed on it as I am aware, but its set up to automatically update with windows, so I think the problem lies there from what I've read.

What I've done so far
Tried putting it into safe mode (F8)- no response, still get BSOD
Tried using System Restore from the PC (F11)- no response, still get BSOD
Tried Vista Recovery Disk - it tries to boot but still get BSOD
I've downloaded the MS Hotfix for this but can't access windows to load it

I've found several different things to fix it on the web, and I'm unsure as to where to go next, bit confused to be honest, and not alot of experience with this, if I had the Vista Disk, I'd just wipe it and reload it as everything on there is backed up.

Thanks in advance

Jess

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Can you get into Startup Repair (it's the "Repair your computer" entry just above the Safe Mode selection).
If so, try to get into the Command Prompt screen and see if you can launch the hotfix from there.
Please give us a link to the hotfix so we can check for other methods.

Here's a suggestion for a workaround: http://www.delmartia...S-KB946084.html
I haven't tried it, but it looks feasible (and a bit complicated).

~Jess~

~Jess~

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Usasma,

I'll give those a try today and let you know how I get on,

The link for the hotfix is http://support.micro...kb/946084/en-us

Thanks again

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Yes, that was the fix that I thought it was. I haven't seen any results of using the fix, so running it in the Command Prompt may not work (but it won't hurt your system).

Microsoft's "workaround" is to either remove the offending disk, or if that's not possible, then they suggest a wipe and reinstall.

When this issue happens with some Dell's, you have to slipstream SP1 into the installation DVD in order to get past the STOP 0xC1F5 error. I haven't seen this with HP's tho', so I'm unsure if the same issues will happen.

I'd suggest the steps in the link above before resorting to the wipe and reinstall.

Should you decide to go with the wipe and reinstall, we'll have to do further research on this issue to see if HP's suffer from the same issue as Dell's. HP recovery disks are more complicated than the Dell one's, so slipstreaming SP1 may be more difficult. In the event that you go ahead with the wipe and reinstall, I'd suggest having a copy of SP1 on a flash drive so that you can install it immediately after you install Windows (don't be connected to the internet when doing this).

~Jess~

~Jess~

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Usasma,

Start up repair wouldn't respond either - still got the BSOD
Was about to try the workaround when I discovered it was still covered by extended warrenty!

Took it back to John Lewis and they sent it back to HP, got it back today, its had a new hard drive fitted and formatted.

Sorry it took me so long to update you, and sorry I can't help much more as I don't know what else they tried! Thanks for your advice, I shall keep it just in case :)

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem! Thanks for letting us know!
It's probably enough to know that they put in a new hard drive. This is a difficult error to work with, so the warranty repair is probably the best for everyone!