Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop

• Please log in to reply

abear33

abear33

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello and let me say thanks in advance for your help.
I am not sure whether I have a virus or what but when my computer starts up my desktop never appears. I have tried several methods to get it up but all have failed. This computer will soon be for one of my children so if I need to wipe it clean and re stage it that is fine. I do not know the best way to do this though. I would also like to know what drivers and software I will need to get it going. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If you want to start clean, and you don't have any important data there, then it should be easy.
What computer brand, and model is it?
Do you have recovery CD?

abear33

abear33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It is a Dell Inspiron 5160. I tried to go back to a previous point where I thought the problem did not exist but that did not work. The disk I have been able to locate are. One for reinstalling Dell Tools System Software, a re installation disk for Windows xp SP2. Let me know if I need any others and I can probably get my hands on them. This laptop does not have a built in wireless internet card. It uses a card that is inserted. I do have the capability to hook up a Ethernet cable. My current house hold arrangement is, one desktop using Cox internet. I have a wireless router which is an Apple Time Warp with an Airport located in another area of the house. Let me know if you need an further info to get me going.
Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
"re installation disk for Windows xp SP2" will do. Just boot from it.
Later, you can use Dell Tools System Software to reinstall some programs.

Alternatively, you can press CTRL+F11 at Dell's logo to get to recovery program.

abear33

abear33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Broni,
By doing this will it wipe out everything and will I be asked to create a partition and all. If not is there anything special I should know when I do this.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, the above will wipe out everything, and it'll return your computer to its original state.

abear33

abear33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you,
This seems to have worked and I have my desk top back.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice :)