Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Windows XP Clock please!

• Please log in to reply

Andrique

Andrique

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello.

Please help me :)
My clock is very messed up and jumps time. When I fix it, it just gets all messed up again.

Information which might be useful: About a year ago, I got a trojan on my computer and had to send it back to the company which made it to get it fixed and wiped. I believe there might be a connection between the trojan and my wiped computer for this problem started occurring when I figured out I had a trojan.

I believed it would be fixed. But it wasn't. The problem kept happening. It's being doing this for a very long time now and I just figured I need it fixed. Please reply or e-mail me.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"My clock is very messed up and jumps time. When I fix it, it just gets all messed up again."

What do you mean it jumps time?
Are you saying it loses time?
What about the date on your system, is it staying right or is it changing also?

Andrique

Andrique

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes the date goes back in time also. It just jumps... It's really weird...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if the date and time do not hold then you may have a low cmos battery.
It also can be caused by an infection.
How old is the system?
What virus if you remember did you have?
How did they clean it?
Can you supply the make and model of your system?

Andrique

Andrique

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a Toshiba Satellite P105

I do not remember the name of the virus, but it was a Trojan for sure

This computer is around 2 years old.

I have no idea what they did when I shipped it in. All I know is they wiped it, and put in a new CD drive, for mine was broken.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unless they completely took out the partition and then set it back up. Reformatted the drive and then installed the OS fresh there might be a chance you could still have remnants of the trojan.
You may just want to take a trip to the Malware forum by following these steps:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the requested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 June 2009 - 12:58 AM.