Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

sortedyeti

sortedyeti

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi

i have recently installed a secondary hard drive to my machine, and now it will only run for aprox 10 - 20 mins before restrating it's self.

can any one give me any suggestions to why this may be happening?

cheers

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the issue start immediately after installing the new HD?
I have never heard of a new HD doing this.
If you disconnect the new HD does the problem stop?
Was there any other upgrades done at the same time?
IS this a custom system or name brand?
Make and model please
What wattage is your power supply?

sortedyeti

sortedyeti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi,

this problem did start when i installed new hard drive.

there were no other upgrades done at the same time.

i don't know what the wattage of the power supply is.

the pc is shop bought although i have added to it.

i have creative platimum edition soundcard, a dedicated graphics card and upgraded the ram to 2 1gb cards

thebase of the machine is a sumsung scalero p

for futher info it was suggested that the heat sink could be damaged on the CPU so this morning i have removed old and replaced with new heat sink, this hasn't improved the situation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

sortedyeti

sortedyeti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the information

that you asked for

it doesn't look good

GPU = is getting fried @ 66 and the core is also getting fried @ 66

the rest have doward facing arrows
temp 1 = 37
temp 2 = 36
temp 3 = 28
hd 0 = 33
hd 1 = 32
ambient = 0

the machine has just crashes again

out put from the power supply is 350 watts

sortedyeti

sortedyeti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
since i was last on

i have tried redoing the heat sink again

and re ran speed fan and the results are as follows

GPU = 57c
Temp1 = 31c
Temp2 = 30c
Temp3 = 25c
HD0 = 27c
HD1 = 26c
Core = 57c
Ambient = 0c

Fan1 = 1896 rpm
Fan2 = 2411 rpm
Fan3 = 0 rpm

Vcore1 = 1.22V
Vcore2 = 2.45V
+3.3V = 3.33V
+5V = 5.03V
+12V = 12.16V

-12V = -3.23V
-5V = -1.33V
+5V = 4.84V
Vbat = 3.10V

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In post #3 you said
"for futher info it was suggested that the heat sink could be damaged on the CPU so this morning i have removed old and replaced with new heat sink, this hasn't improved the situation. "

Did you mean to say Heatsink or do you mean the Fan?
I tried to look for the specs for your system and I find a laptop. Is your system a laptop or a desktop?
If desktop could you open it and check the cpu fan and PSU fan?
Also if there is a fan on the Video card check it to make sure it's turning.

sortedyeti

sortedyeti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the pc which has a problem is a desk top,

when i say the heat sink what i mean is,

i removed the fan and large metal fins, to leave the processor visable.

i cleaned both surfaces of old thermal paste which was dry and crusty.

i redid the thermal paste (about pea sized amount)

and then refixed the fan and metal fins back over the processor.

the last set of results from speedfan were the outcome after switch the machine back on (the number for core and GPU figures kept climbing.

with regards the fans

the fan over the cpu is turning

the fan for the power pack is turning

the fan for the graphics card is turning as far as i can tell

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you cleaned out the inside of your system lately? The reason i ask is because your fan speeds seem pretty low. My speed for my Fan 1 i just checked with Speedfan is at 4272 RPM's.

Try using a can of compressed air and blow the fans out. If they are really dirty you may have to manually clean them off. please let me know if this helps.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

The reason i ask is because your fan speeds seem pretty low. My speed for my Fan 1 i just checked with Speedfan is at 4272 RPM's.

I'm not so sure about the fan speeds being so low... Mine's sitting on about 1200RPM right now. 4272RPM seems very high, actually. You must be going deaf.

To the OP:

Those temperatures don't seem right. If they just keep climbing, that's definitely a problem. Also, Speedfan, while helpful, is just a program that accesses sensors and may be incorrect. As a secondary test, what temperatures does your BIOS report?

If you disconnect the recently-added hard drive, does the problem go away? If so, then the problem is either a faulty hard drive, or you need a larger PSU.

If not, let us know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Troy

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually I can barely hear the fan in mine and that's without the side on my system. The PSU was the next issue I would have looked at also Troy.
Thank you for the assist as I always learn something new from you. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 June 2009 - 09:09 AM.

sortedyeti

sortedyeti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
today i have replaced the cpu fan and fins and added an additional casing fan. speedfan is now giving a result of hovering around 51C for the gpu and the core.

having looked at the bios temperatures the cpu is 34C and 31C, these temperatures don't change if i remove the second hard drive for the last 5 minutes they've held at this temperature as yet the machine hasn't restarted...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does it do this when you disconnect the new drive?

sortedyeti

sortedyeti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it doesn't seem to make a difference though it did re start its self with just the standard hard drive in

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK, I'm sorry I misinterpreted your issue then. I thought it had to do with the installation of the second HD.
The issue seems to be the system itself.
Let's look at other problems then.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options