Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI slot RAID controller?

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
i have a computer i built a few years ago, the motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. it has an on board RAID controller with 2 SATA ports. im using these 2 ports for a RAID array as my C drive.

i also have 2 IDE drives (they are both Western Digital WD1200JBRTL drives) i want to set these 2 IDE drives up as a second RAID array. a mirrored array and use it as my D drive.

the motherboard isnt set up for a RAID array on the IDE ports.
does anyone know of a way to do this? Maybe a PCI RAID controller that has 2 IDE ports?
will the system be able to handle 2 different RAID arrays or will it cause problems?

im planning on leaving windows and all my programs on the C drive (the SATA RAID set on the on board controller)
and using the IDE RAID set for my photos and personal documents as the D drive

if someone could tell me if this is possible and suggest a PCI card that might work, id appreciate it
thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, using a PCI IDE RAID controller will do the trick, although this is getting a little further into it than any customer has asked me to do. From what I understand, the BIOS will load the SATA RAID and then load the PCI IDE RAID controller, which will separately load the IDE RAID setup.

Cheers

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thats what i was hoping would happen. any opinions good or bad about this particular card?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816132004

thanks for the advice

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not sure... the only thing I can say is I've never had much luck with cheap RAID cards. See if you can find one from Adaptec, I hear they're pretty good.

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I guess on ebay you can get a real cheap ATA RAID controller. Adaptec or Promise are above the average in terms of quality. By all means avoid VIA.
Though Adaptec website lists only 2 ATA RAID cards (1200A and 2400A) both of which are ATA60/100, not ATA133.
So perhaps a Promise card would suit best because of ATA133 specs:
Promise TX2000
This one used to be classic. A very popular controller.

Edited by Kelly Wright, 13 June 2009 - 08:54 AM.