Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shutting down/non boot

• Please log in to reply

oberlisc

oberlisc

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Guys, Any idea's before I strip this Laptop down, It's a Compaq Presario C500 running Vista Home Basic, It has been dropped and wont boot, it goes through the first post screen and comes up with Blah Blah Blah Enter Vista repair (recommended)(or something like that) or start normally, choose repair it loads files them Black screens with no reboot atempt, press power button, it puts up post screen allows me to change boot or enter setup but Black screens again, i've swapped memory around (no different), took HDD out and put back in (no different), took battery out used mains power only (no different), so any idea's.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by oberlisc, 06 June 2009 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Since the laptop has been dropped, the HDD might be the problem. Run a diagnostic on it. Download Seatools For DOS from here: http://www.seagate.c...ols/seatooldreg
Download the ISO-CD ROM IMAGE EN file. Burn it to a disc using BurnCDCC, http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm

Once burned, boot from the disc, and run a diagnostic. Here is a tutorial: http://seagate.custk...sp?DocId=201271

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Cheers mate, I shall report back tomorrow (sorry today) as it now 00.43am here and I can hear my bed calling. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right!
Good night. :)

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok back again, made no difference mate couldn't get computer to stay on long enough to boot from cd, If i leave it for a while it will boot, go through first post then as listed above Blah Blah Blah Enter Vista repair (recommended)(or something like that) or start normally, this time i clicked start normal and it went to load (scrolling bar)then it blue screened but didn,t restart, pressed power button through post screen then shuts down, and again and again, it looks like i'm going to have to open it up.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

blue screened

What is the error code, and what is on the screen?

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No error code mate, just a quick flash of blue screen then powers down, can't get it to get to that point again, may try again in abit, If I get more info I'll post it here.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try clicking on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig, and follow the directions to create a CD. Then boot with the CD, and enter the Recovery Console. Then select your Windows installation and enter your admin password. Type in:
chkdsk /r

This process will take a long time to complete, and DO NOT interrupt it.
Also, if you get the error code, please post it.

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok Mate thanks for your help so far :) , If i get time i'll have another go at it tonight.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right! :)
Please post back with the info.

Advertisements

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Mate, I've took the HDD out of the machine and put it in a caddy, the HDD is making what sounds like a beeping sound, it's as if the needle is stuck it just goes beep, beep, beep, beep constantly, so I'll have to get another SATA HDD for it it was a Seagate 80gb, I got a 60gb Toshiba one for my brothers laptop £19.95 from ebay so i think i'll have a look on there.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

caddy

Do you mean a hard drive enclosure?

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, sorry Enclosure.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What hard drive do you plan on getting to replace the defective one (that was dropped)?
Can you post a link to the eBay listing?

I would recommend this one: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2676

Before you buy a new drive, confirm that the drive is defective by running the diagnostic I talked about earlier with the bad HDD on the dropped computer.

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Mate, I've bought this one http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=220428333751 I'm fixing the laptop for a neighbour so trying to keep the cost to a mininum, as for checking the HDD to make sure it is beyond repair, believe me mate it is beyond repair, the HDD has been in two other machine's as a slave and nothing just alot of noise.

Edited by oberlisc, 11 June 2009 - 05:18 PM.