Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI GBE NIC stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Destructo

Destructo

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
A few days ago the power went out and my computer was forced to hard restart. After the computer started back up the Realtek NIC stopped working, it will not detect a cord and does not have a green light on it. It does have an amber light. I have tried a system restore, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, tried different cords and ports on the router, updated the driver, nothing works. I know it's not a problem with the cord or the router because it works fine on another computer. I am currently using the wireless card on this computer but it produces huge lag spikes while playing games and I would like to go back to a wired connection. I have looked all over the internet, including threads on this site and nothing I have tried works. I am currently running vista.

Edited by Destructo, 07 June 2009 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was it a outage or a spike?
Do you have a surge protector connected to the system?
Have you tried to go into Device Manager and see if the card is detected?
Is it onboard or a add-on card?

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Destructo

Destructo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
The power flicked off and then on. My computer is running through a surge protector, router was not. It's onboard, asus p5k premium mobo. The card is detected and it used to work. In device manager, Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI GBE NIC has a yellow exclamation mark with "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" as the reason. I'm went on to XP as well as it is dual booted on this computer, same problem, error code 10, yellow exclamation mark.

Edited by Destructo, 07 June 2009 - 02:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Boot into safe mode and then go to Device Manager.
Uninstall the Realtek Nic and then reboot.
Let windows reinstall the driver from scratch.

The other thing you can try is to go into the Bios and check the Advanced or Integrated area and make sure the onboard nic or lan card is enabled.
Make sure to Save and Exit by clicking F10 and then Y to verify.

Let me know how this works

Destructo

Destructo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Went into safe mode, uninstalled, restarted, windows reinstalled it automatically, and still doesn't work. It was enabled in the bios. It changed the driver name though, it is now Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) #2. I noticed in the bios though that there was a second lan nic, can't remember the name but it was disabled, i have never seen it before although i do have 2 ethernet ports on my mobo, 2nd one has never been used. I updated and it changed the name of the driver again to Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI GBE NIC #2

Edited by Destructo, 07 June 2009 - 03:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange.
Go back into BIOS and disable the first one and enable the second. Save and exit and when windows restarts try the new connection and see if that works.

Destructo

Destructo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you, i am now able to connect to the internet through wired but it is through the second ethernet port. The first one still does not work but the second one seems to be working fine at the moment. The second port is Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. I think that the first port might have gotten fried because it happened during a lightning storm.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with your synopsis of the cause.Even though you may have not received a direct hit you may have gotten just enough to take out that port.
Is everything now working correctly for you?
Is the second port working as well as the first one did?

Destructo

Destructo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
So far so good, ventrilo ping is sitting at a steady 60ish ping, normal for my internet. Tested it out with team fortress 2, worked fine, no lag at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.

Blazer555

Blazer555

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In the BIOS, what about "Onboard LAN Boot ROM"? This is disabled, however, the Onboard Lan Chip is enabled.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

In the BIOS, what about "Onboard LAN Boot ROM"?

This allows the system to be booted from a lan and has nothing to do with enabling the onboard nic card.

SiliconSPY

SiliconSPY

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Gigabyte GA-P55A-USB3 and after installing my new Bitdefender antivirus it recommended an optional update to the REALTEK driver and then it failed (code 10). A couple of weeks prior I was hit with a Win32 trojan that has caused audio/video issues with youtube. I uninstalled, cleared caches, reinstalled everything but the OS and will no change.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Direct to SiliconSPY

Please do not request help inside another members topic, your issue may appear the same but be totally unconnected in any way and so you are best to start your own topic.

It is important that your computer is confirmed as being clean of malware infection so I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, please start your own topic and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.