Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

kernel32.dll error in Vista

• Please log in to reply

angela77

angela77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, my name is Angela.
I have a Dell Inspririon, only 1 year old (laptop)
I turned it on this morning, only to get a blue screen with the error that kernel32.dll is missing, and windows cannot start.
I triedto reboot, and chose to look for solution when a black screen showed. I then got the wrror "procedure entry point interspect could not be located in dynamic link library user 32
I then tried to reboot in safe mode, got the same error
Tried to insert driver disk to reinstall kernel32.dll - cannot get laptop to recognize disk.

This is where I'm at. Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

anon5

anon5

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Download kernel32.dll from this site, and place it in the map with .dll files.

EDIT: I didn't read that you cannot get in Windows.

angela77

angela77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was finally able to get the laptop to run the disk. I have it checking for errors, says the test will take about 77 minutes. Hopefully I'm on the right track. I'm still open to suggestions, as I don't know what will happen next.

As far as how kernel32.dll is missing, I do not know. I work from home on my laptop. Shut down on Friday like always, turned it on this morning like always, and had this issue. Lukcily we have a home computer as well!

spacegirl54

spacegirl54

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm having this problem as well.
I feel like I've tried everything.
My laptop boots to a black screen, I can choose to run repair or start windowns normally. Tried both options and each time I get a blue screen that says "stop" and an error message about kernel21.dll missing
Then I tried to get into windows via safe mode, and safe mode with command - seems like it was working, but then got the blue screen again with the same error
Last, tried to just wipe out and re-install windows. It got about 3/4 of the way through and just stopped

Can anyone help?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
What does the blue screen say after the "STOP"? The characters after it (1 set, then 4 sets in ()'s) will give us some info about the error.

spacegirl54

spacegirl54

• Pip
  • 6 posts
After "stop" it says: "procedure entry point intersect could not be located indynamic link library user32.dll"

What does the blue screen say after the "STOP"? The characters after it (1 set, then 4 sets in ()'s) will give us some info about the error.

spacegirl54

spacegirl54

• Pip
  • 6 posts
No, cannot boot in safe mode. It will start to boot up, then screen goes black, stops, then turns blue with the error just above this reply.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'd wonder if this is a hardware error. Can you run the inbuilt Dell diagnostics?
In particular run a hard drive diagnostic and a memory diagnostic.

Edited by usasma, 09 June 2009 - 10:57 AM.

spacegirl54

spacegirl54

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I can certainly give it a shot. I'll be sure to post my results.

I'd wonder if this is a hardware error. Can you run the inbuilt Dell diagnostics?
In particular run a hard drive diaqnostic and a memory diagnostic.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If the inbuilt diagnostics don't work, then I'd suggest running the tests separately.
Here's links to how to do the tests:
bootable-hard-drive-diagnostics
bootable-memory-test-diagnostics

Edited by usasma, 09 June 2009 - 11:00 AM.

spacegirl54

spacegirl54

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok - sounds like a plan. Thank you so much for your guidance and for the links.

If the inbuilt diagnostics don't work, then I'd suggest running the tests separately.
Here's links to how to do the tests:
bootable-hard-drive-diagnostics
bootable-memory-test-diagnostics

spacegirl54

spacegirl54

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey there - I just wanted to let you know that my issue turned out to be my hard drive. After running diagnostics I got windows vista to finally run but being able to use it is sporatic. I can do simple things such as net surfing, but anything that requires it to "think" a lot causes freezing and error messages - which should not be happening, as I have a lot of memory, no unnecessary programs, etc.

Thanks so much for the assistance. Tips from you and from this site saved me hundreds of dollars.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for letting us know!