Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't install

• Please log in to reply

dennis68

dennis68

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, let me start at the beginning. My kids clicked the "wrong" button and installed Trojan-spy "smitfraud"c on my desktop. I got the blue scren of death and fought the long battle to try and make it go away. I ran Adaware, Spy-bot and a current version of McAfee virus software. They all found lots of neat things but didn't fix the problem.

I decided I had enough and backed up the really important stuff to my laptop before installing the restore discs. After an hour of that I tried rebooting and the stupid emachines "welcome" menu came up. I got as far as the "name your computer" screen and it just stopped. It would not proceed. I have a copy of 2000pro so I figured what could it hurt and installed that, wiping the drive first. It installed and worked fine, so I figured that since the drive is clear now I can install XP again....same problem. I gets to the same spot and will not proceed. My guess is that there is a problem with one of the discs. Unforuneatly it is bundled software so I can't just call Microsoft and get a new disc.

Am I off base? Anybody have any other ideas, I've gotten used to XP and don't really want to go back to 2000.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you remove the partition as well as format? Ran into an emachine a few weeks ago here on which the restore media was VERY finicky. Finally got is back up by wiping the partition.

dennis68

dennis68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, the emachines restore software doesn't give ANY options as far what you would like to do. It automatically runs, I'm not entirely sure what it does. I'm going to call emachines today and see if it possible to obtain a new restore disk or maybe just a copy of XP without all their garbage on it.