Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer lockup/freeze w/ sound loop

• Please log in to reply

Lawrence Vester

Lawrence Vester

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My build

(HAF 932)
(850 Watt Corsair CMPSU-850TX)
(Core 2 Duo Processor E8600 (3.33GHz)
(Coolermaster V10)
(eVGA Nvidia nForce 780i)
(4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Corsair-Value)
(GTX 285 2GB)
(1 TB HD [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache])
(Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer)
(LCD 22")
2nd(LCD 19”)
(XP Home SP 2)
Power Protection (Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR)
(Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal)

Problem is running Wow. I just got the computer about 1 week ago from Ibuypower. I spent one evening installing NOD 32 and updating XP and another day installing and updating Wow. The third day i was able to to start playing, So i starting multiboxing(5 wow clients at once). Played for a good 2-3 hours then went down to single client of wow for about 45 min. That is when the Computer monitors both went black and flashed "no signal" or "no input" then the sound went into a loop(this all happening simultaneously). There was no auto reboot, i manually had to power down the unit.

I checked temps:
CPU: 35
Board: 32
MCP: 50

And used CPU-Z to get my timings:
DRAM Freq: 400.0 MHz
5:6
5.0 clocks
5 clocks
5 clocks
12 clocks (was set at 18 changed it to 12)
22 clocks
2T

The PSU sits on the bottom of the case (first time i have seen that) and the unit sits on a carpet floor. Im a newbie so if any of this info is useless plz forgive me. PSU was warm on touch but i didn't know how to check temp for that.

Edited by Lawrence Vester, 09 June 2009 - 10:07 PM.

Advertisements

Lawrence Vester

Lawrence Vester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone know if there might be a compatibility issue? not enough power?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate, sounds like a driver or game issue. What drivers version are you using for your video card? Have you applied all the latest game patches for your WOW game?

Lawrence Vester

Lawrence Vester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea i have the latest drivers for my vid card and the latest patches for Wow. However i am using the Beta 186 driver for my 285. Here is a link to a thread of mine in another forum. IBP forum Its a little lengthy but has a lot of info about my unit. Volts, Clocks, Drivers, and software Test data. Most i have trouble figuring out what it means so if you could take a look. Im at the last stages of troubleshooting (that is within my comfort range) I have learned A TON of new stuff about troubleshooting (maybe not that much, just had so much fun doing it tho!! :) )

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You know, it could be something entirely different causing this... Have you tried running a hard drive diagnostic, for example?

Lawrence Vester

Lawrence Vester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have not but ill try anything at this point. Ill have to look up how to do that real quick and ill get back to you asap. But it you respond quick any links to guides or info on how to do HD diagnostic would be appreciated.

Lawrence Vester

Lawrence Vester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Kk i just got a program called HDD Scan and started running a test/scan, not sure if im even running the correct thing :) , i looked over their forums for a few min but i had to get back to work, so if you can find any links on what kind of test or software i should be running plz link, This test (or task i think it is called) reads RD-Read. ill have a report for you in a bit!

Edited by Lawrence Vester, 20 June 2009 - 12:46 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The manufacturer should have a diagnostic tool on their support webpage somewhere, usually you can download and create a bootable disc from it. That's the best way to test it.

What make is your hard drive?

Lawrence Vester

Lawrence Vester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My HD is a Hitachi HD721010SLA. I ran the RD-Read test and also the S2-Extended Test.

RD-Read: 11:30PM- 2:47AM
<5ms 7,625,088
<10ms 1,834
<20ms 589
<50ms 571
<150ms 45
<500ms 0
>500ms 0
Bads 0
The S2-Extended Test: 2:52AM - 6:23AM
Status: Completed with no error or never started. (i watched it move along till 50% and then i went to bed).

I was unsure about the bootable disk, because i have not trouble logging on to my computer. Any other tests i should run? im running out of parts to test :). Unless you think i should still make that bootable disk and run it, and that bootable disk wont wipe or try to recover anything will it? because i dont need to wipe or recover anything :)