Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad_pool_caller

• Please log in to reply

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi guys new to the forum but thought here would be the best place to get some help. My computer which is on Windows 2000 cannot get started due to the Bad_Pool_caller error i keep receiving i have tried all methods i can think of (I hit every option from the f8 list including good restore and safe mode command prompt) but every time windows get started up it goes right back to the blue screen with the Bad_pool_caller error again and again. The specific error code was the following:XXX stop: 0x000000c2(0x00000043,0xDC188000,0x00000000,0x00000000) I've cleaned up my computer and most of the hardware is only 2 years old, so I'm at a lost.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Check your Device Manager for problems. Go to:

1: Start > Run
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4: Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

Post your findings back here :)

-Jason

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The problem is i can't even get to windows the error appears before i can even do anything(i see welcome and immediately the blue screen every time.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Do you still have your Windows Installation disk?

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think so.

Edited by GoyaGokou, 08 June 2009 - 09:49 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Boot from the Windows 2000 installation CD.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank, unless you know a specified administrator password, and then press "Enter".

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Restart your computer and see if windows will start.

-Jason

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No i was mistaken i don't have the Windows Installation disk >>.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
You will need a blank CD-r, from any local department store. Maybe you have one already.
Download Windows Recovery Console here.
Download, and install Imgburn from my sig.
Install Imgburn onto your computer. You can choose No when it asks to check for a new version, the older one will work fine.
Using Imgburn, Choose "Write Image file to disk". Choose the folder Icon with a magnifying glass to choose your windows recovery console ISO. When ready, burn the ISO to the disk, choosing the large "Iso file to cd" button on the bottom.
When complete, close Imgburn and all other applications. Restart your computer.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Follow the rest of the steps from my previous post. :)

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, while i was installing it it said it might be something with my hard drive disk. I hope cleaning it will fix the problem.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hope so too - keep me updated :)

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nope, replaced hard drive with a new one and im still getting the same message that its not installed so i have no idea now.

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just to clarify after i tried to use windows installation it still did not recognize my hard drive despite the fact that i have brought a new one and have just installed it. I also tried a spare ram to see if that was the case but i still get the bad_pool_caller blue screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your HD recognized in the bios?
Is your HD a Sata or IDE drive?
If IDE and not recognized in BIOS and it is a new drive. You may have a dead controller.

GoyaGokou

GoyaGokou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Its an IDE but my hard drive is not recognized by the bios even though its the same as my old one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you have either a bad IDE cable or a bad IDE controller.
If you take out old drive and try it in a new system is it seen?
Use the old IDE ribbon when you do. If seen then it is a bad IDE controller.
Repest the steps with new HD.
If it is not seen then try a new IDE ribbon and then if seen try it in your system with new IDE ribbon. If still not seen then it is the controller.