Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

INSTALLING WIN98 WITHOUT A CDROM?

• Please log in to reply

StonerBoy420

StonerBoy420

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, i have a NEC VERSA 4230 laptop, with no cdrom, and i need to install windows 98.. is it possible to install from a floppy disk, or is there any other way to install windows 98 with out a cdrom???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Windows 98 was never released on floppy, as far as I know! If you have access to another machine, you can dump the contents of the CD (only need the win98 folder, not the entire CD) to the laptops hard drive.

Theres a few ways you could do this :

1. Get a USB 2.5inch drive caddy. This allows you to place your laptop hard drive into the caddy & connect to another system.

2. If you already have an OS loaded on the laptop & both laptop and second machine have network cards, you can link them together using a cross-over cable.

3. If theres no OS & you're really desperate, you can link the 2 systems via the parallel ports using a laplink cable. All you need then is a floppy boot disk with laplink for DOS on. Boot from floppy (both systems) & transfer files over that way.

4. If you don't have a second PC, then the only way is to borrow or buy an external CD ROM drive.

Of course, you could always email it to yourself from another PC! (yeah, right)