Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Usage in task mgr

• Please log in to reply

simpleman

simpleman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an older computer with 256 mb ram, but when I check out the task manager, my memory usage is usually in the 230mb range, but it is showing that I am using 230/631. Why would it say I have 631 mb ram. The programs I have in my system tray are zone alarm, avg, volume, local area connection, hotsync for pda, and aim. I also don't understand how I am using so much of my memore with those programs. With aim and firefox open I am also at 36% of my cpu usage. I am kind of lost, no virus, spyware or any of that jazz so I dont really know what is going on. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not sure what you're question is--people get upset when their ram is being used, but unused ram is wasted ram.

Windows alone uses alot of memory, then adding a few programs....well, there goes the ram.

simpleman

simpleman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Part of the question is: why does it show that I have 631 mb of ram when I only have 256mb. The other part is: with so few programs running in the background or actually open, why is my computer so bogged down. This something that has only been happening for about the last two months. Another computer in the house running more programs with less memory and half the processor speed is still not using the same amount of memory as me nor the cpu usage. It doesnt make sense.