Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access the internet after a disc reformat

• Please log in to reply

kpreston

kpreston

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Bought a new computer and decided to give the old one to my niece. To remove all the junk I had on the old one, I reformatted the hard drive and then reinstalled XP. In trying to complete the set up, I was unable to acces the internet. It's an E-machine. I used the new computer to go to their site and download all of the drivers to a flash drive and loaded those on the old computer. Still didn't work.

On the old computer, I click on Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings >Automatically Detect Settings and nothing happens.

I also click on Start > Control Panel > Network Connections and there's nothing listed. I then click on Create a New Connection and am unable to do so.

So that you know, when I reloaded XP, when finished I got a series of error message stating that the following files were not loaded (among others):

actxprxy.dll
acledit.dll
activeds.tlb
addremov.chm

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I then click on Create a New Connection and am unable to do so.

What error message is given?

Try going to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow
Let SFC scan your system, and pop in your Windows CD if prompted to do so.

kpreston

kpreston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Bought a new computer and decided to give the old one to my niece. To remove all the junk I had on the old one, I reformatted the hard drive and then reinstalled XP. In trying to complete the set up, I was unable to acces the internet. It's an E-machine. I used the new computer to go to their site and download all of the drivers to a flash drive and loaded those on the old computer. Still didn't work.

On the old computer, I click on Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings >Automatically Detect Settings and nothing happens.

I also click on Start > Control Panel > Network Connections and there's nothing listed. I then click on Create a New Connection and am unable to do so.

So that you know, when I reloaded XP, when finished I got a series of error message stating that the following files were not loaded (among others):

actxprxy.dll
acledit.dll
activeds.tlb
addremov.chm

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

kpreston

kpreston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The message I get is "The page cannot be displayed." This is after I click to open Internet Explorer.

kpreston

kpreston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Gentlemen (and ladies if applicable):
Thank you for your help, but I just got an order to go pick up the kids. I off the computer until they go to bed. My apologies. I didn't expect this to happen. However, in the meantime, I will follow up with what you sent me, and again, thank you for your prompt responses.....that's something I truly appreciate.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try running SFC.

Otherwise, go to Start -> Run -> cmd
Type in:
regsvr32 XXXXXXXXX
Replace the XXXXXXXX with:

Urlmon.dll
Shdocvw.dll