Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with network monitoring software :)

• Please log in to reply

giadda

giadda

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi all!!

first of all, i'd like to say thanks for at least opening and reading my topic..

okay, i was hoping for help regarding network connection/monitoring.

i'm currently sharing an internet connection with 2 classmates here in the apartment.. i applied for the connection. Since I'm paying for that net connection, I set up ground rules not to slow down internet usage, by avoiding downloadings, too much video streaming etc.. however, during nights, i see my net connection slow down from the supposed 6MBPS connection to just 512k >_< i checked using Bandwidth Meter Pro (BMP)..

i've talked to them about this, but they just shrug and say, maybe the net connex sucks or something.. but when i do unplug their network cable from the router, BMP gives me a reading of 6mbps max >_<

my point is, i'm trying to determine what computer software or application would enable me to check what they're doing on their PC.. so i could talk to them again about why he shouldn't be downloading, streaming, etc.. i'd like to find out if there's a way to check if like 4mbps goes to them because they downloads, or like 3mbps for streaming and 1mbps for downloading..

and if possible, would it be possible for me to control the bandwidth allocation without them knowing? also, if i can prohibit which sites or programs they could use that slows down net connection..

if yes, can i also ask which possible software to use?

in a nutshell, i'm asking for help regarding:

1. what computer software or application would enable me to check what they're doing on their PC
2. is it possible for me to control the bandwidth allocation without them knowing?
3. is it possible to prohibit which sites or programs they could use that slows down net connection..

thanks and more power!! :)

Advertisements

giadda

giadda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
can i BUMP? :) really need advice :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You have a number of options.

The best, and cheapest way to do it would be to get a router that is compatible with DDWRT. Its a custom firmware that opens up a slew of features, including QoS (restriction of traffic). You can also assign certain traffic priority, create VLAN's and assign set amount of bandwidth, block certain traffic (ie. bittorrent, video streaming, etc) and so forth. And its FREE!

Check here, http://www.dd-wrt.co...t/hardware.html , to see if your existing router will work. Most do.

Now, please let me know if you need assistance setting this up. There is quite a bit of wiki's and FAQ's on the website, but since this is a rather advanced method I can help if needed.

sundaypark

sundaypark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes,so many monitoring software out there for you can choose. :)
Remote spy software that allows you to REMOTELY INSTALL the monitoring software on any computer you own and access the activity logs from anywhere at any time

Networking monitoring software allows you to track workstations and individual users that may use multiple PC’s on a network.

Or you may try some network employee computer monitoring software ,we apply it in our company to monitor the employee computers.

Alissa

Alissa

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I can advise ActyMac DutyWatch Remote or ProteMac Meter.