Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound or HDMI signal

• Please log in to reply

veloxx

veloxx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using an LG HDTV monitor, acer aspire running windows vista 64bit. When I use the monitor for tv, sound is fine, external speakers work fine as well. However, I am getting no sound from my computer (trying to listen to music on itunes). I just got this computer/monitor set a few days ago -- although the monitor and tower both have HDMI, when I try to connect both with an HDMI cable I get "no signal". When I use VGA/audio patch cable I get full use of my monitor but no sound -- plugging my external speakers gives me nothing either. I've narrowed it down to my computer, nothing is on mute, I can't get sound from any application. When I open Realtek HD Audio, it has tabs for digital and HDMI output but no tab for analog. I really need sound on this computer -- this is driving me crazy why I can't use HDMI or use audio!! Thanks for any help :[

ps, i checked and i can get a visual display when i use the HDMI port #2 on the monitor but not #1, but it messes up the resolution a bit. Still no sound though!

Edited by veloxx, 11 June 2009 - 12:35 PM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Note: do you have a program that can run and control the TV connection bridge?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you tried a different device on HDMI #1?

You probably have the output for the sound set wrong. Also, I would try a different HDMI cable as well, you can get them for a few $$ on Amazon or Newegg.

veloxx

veloxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i just moved, so i haven't tried anything on HDMI 1 (everything's packed up). I did buy this HDMI cable at newegg, the normal res of the monitor is set at 1920x1080 but with HDMI everything looks a bit weird.

edit: I double checked the Realtek Audio manager, there are only Digital and HDMI outputs listed, so I uninstalled Realtek -- and voila, SOUND!! But I had to plug my monitor audio cable into the headphone jack (the rear audio ports wouldn't work). I plugged my external speakers into the monitor, and everything seems fine.

Edited by veloxx, 11 June 2009 - 02:56 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

i just moved, so i haven't tried anything on HDMI 1 (everything's packed up). I did buy this HDMI cable at newegg, the normal res of the monitor is set at 1920x1080 but with HDMI everything looks a bit weird.

edit: I double checked the Realtek Audio manager, there are only Digital and HDMI outputs listed, so I uninstalled Realtek -- and voila, SOUND!! But I had to plug my monitor audio cable into the headphone jack (the rear audio ports wouldn't work). I plugged my external speakers into the monitor, and everything seems fine.

OK, at least that partially fixed the problem. I knew the output was wrong somewhere. Your external speakers are a better bet anyway, monitors speakers aren't exactly the best.

veloxx

veloxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, although this monitor blows me away visually, speakers are a bit weak. I am just wondering why the rear audio port seems to do nothing.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Yeah, although this monitor blows me away visually, speakers are a bit weak. I am just wondering why the rear audio port seems to do nothing.

Port is probably dead. Try a different source/cable to verify.