Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after wiping hard drive

• Please log in to reply

aurelos

aurelos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I was downloading files (movies and songs) from the internet, and I (big surprise) got a monster virus. I paid a good bit of money to a computerly inclined friend of mine, and he wiped my hard drive. Saved the comp, and everything is back to normal here. Only problem is, I don't have any sound. I get the occasional BEEP when I hit a key the comp. doesn't like, but that's just about it. No videos, no music.

What happened and how can I fix it?

Edited by aurelos, 11 June 2009 - 08:48 PM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Give more details. What caused the problem

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 11 June 2009 - 08:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reason for edit: post edited as asked.

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 June 2009 - 09:44 PM.

aurelos

aurelos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't have too many details for you. I don't know much about the virus I got: shortly after starting a download, my internet stopped working. Then all of my programs stopped working, so I tried to restart. It took 30 mins for the computer to shut itself down, and more than that to start it back up. I tried a number of things before getting it to my Comp.Science friend, who wiped it all clean.

When the computer came back to me, everything was the same as it had been before the virus. He had saved all of my documents and songs before the wipe, so I uploaded those. Had to reinstall Microsoft Office and a few other programs. Didn't realize until a day or so after getting it back from him that there is no sound. It's as thought I've set the computer on "mute", only I haven't.

As a disclaimer, I don't know a THING about computers. I know that there is such a thing as a sound card - is mine broken or ... ? I don't even know what I'm talking about.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Were all drivers reinstalled, starting with chipset driver?
Any errors in Device Manager?

If you paid good money for restoring your computer, why don't you ask your friend (?) to finish, what he started?

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Look what's in Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices-->Audio-->Sound Playback
If there's no device, you don't have drivers installed/installed correctly.
Press Windows-logoed key simultaneously with Pause Break, go to Hardware Tab, Device Manager, and look under sounds, video and game controllers. Are there any exclamation or questions marks? Also, don't want to sound suspicious, but your friend could have removed the sound card... and forgot to plug it back into the system. This is of course if your box doesn't have onboard audio.