Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Font changes

• Please log in to reply

chromejael

chromejael

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
For some reason, the font in my yahoo messenger and a few other programs went bold. I reinstalled all the fonts in my computer and it did fix the problem, only to make new ones. Wikipedia, and several other sites have had its fonts drastically changed.

*See attachment for screenshot

How on earth did this happen in the first place? I did not make any drastic changes to my computer when it happened. It seems to be a Vista curse, problems popping out everywhere.

Please help me fix this problem, the font is barely readable.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wikipedia.jpg

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Right click on your desktop and click Personalize.
  • Then, click Window color and appearance.
  • Then, if needed, click "Open classic appearance properties for more color options."
  • Click the Advanced button. Scroll down the list to Message box and menu and change the font styles there.

Did this work?

chromejael

chromejael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

• Right click on your desktop and click Personalize.
  • Then, click Window color and appearance.
  • Then, if needed, click "Open classic appearance properties for more color options."
  • Click the Advanced button. Scroll down the list to Message box and menu and change the font styles there.

Did this work?

No, it doesn't work. And yes, I've tried it before, it was the first thing I did.

THe problem runs a lot deeper, I think its got to to with the registry changes, but I dunno what caused it, or how to fix it.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please download the following to your desktop: Vista font fix by Chris Pirillo. Unzip the folder, then double-click to install the patch.

Before doing so, please read the following article by our good friend, Chris Pirillo: http://chris.pirillo...s-vistas-fonts/

chromejael

chromejael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Please download the following to your desktop: Vista font fix by Chris Pirillo. Unzip the folder, then double-click to install the patch.

Before doing so, please read the following article by our good friend, Chris Pirillo: http://chris.pirillo...s-vistas-fonts/

Yes, I've seen this site before,and No, I'm afraid to use it. By reading the comments, I can see that the patch does more damage than it fixes. Plus, I don't want to use another font, I just want the original fonts.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please do a SFC /SCANNOW

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
All fonts should be installed or uninstalled using this: http://windowshelp.m...2bde301033.mspx

Check out:
http://www.vistax64....ge-default.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-sy...-how.html\

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 13 June 2009 - 01:42 PM.

chromejael

chromejael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Please do a SFC /SCANNOW

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

I have done the Sfc / scannow. And after it finished, it closed rightaway, there was no indication or pop-up saying if there is an error or not. So I assumed there's no error.

DO u want to see the CBS.persist log or CBS log?

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
As long as you restarted your system, the sfc should have fixed any problems. You have to run sfc /scannow one more time after restart.

Did this help, or do you still have problems with your fonts?

When doing any of the fixes, were you logged on as an administrator?

chromejael

chromejael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

As long as you restarted your system, the sfc should have fixed any problems. You have to run sfc /scannow one more time after restart.

Did this help, or do you still have problems with your fonts?

When doing any of the fixes, were you logged on as an administrator?

Ok, I scanned, restarted, scanned again, and restarted. No, it didn't fix it, the font is still faulty.

Yea, I am using an admin account.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please do the following to backup your computer: Vista Complete PC Backup (using Vista backup utility is the alternative).

Then, please reinstall (in-place upgrade) of Windows Vista. This will ensure that the system installer will put the fonts back in to place. Follow this article, and read this section only: "To reinstall Windows Vista."

All of your data is usually fine when doing a reinstall. However, I gave you backup instructions first to ensure your would not lose any data. Failure to backup your data will result in a possible loss of any documents, pictures, videos, special files, or any other important thing you need to save.

Please tell me whether or not you have completed this task. Thank you!