Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLI FTL?

• Please log in to reply

Xilin

Xilin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built my sister a computer quite a few years ago, and over the past two years I was up in Alaska. In that time period she upgraded her computer including the motherboard. About two months ago that motherboard went out, so I ordered her a new one as well as new ram (her old stuff wouldn't work with the new mobo)

The second that we got the stuff in the mail I put it all in, and have had nothing but problems. I was able to overcome most of them, but the most persistent one has me at a loss. It will freeze when ever it tries to boot windows (right before it goes to the logo) no matter what boot option. And when I put in the windows Xp install disk, it will load all the drivers and then at the bottom when it says "setup is now starting windows" it will also freeze.

At first I thought that it might have been the hard drive preventing me from reformatting it in setup but I ruled that out (stuck it in another computer and it worked fine) since then I have ruled out everything except bad ram, or bad motherboard.

The really strange thing is that it seems the longer it stays on the worse the problems get until it eventually just stops responding.

Here are the specs:

Mobo: XFX nForce 750i SLI LGA 755 MB750I72P9
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

(those are the two new things that I added)
The existing components are:

Evga: e-GeForce 8600 GTS PCI-E 512MB DDR3
CPU: P4 HT 3GHz
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650Watt

2 EIDE hardrives
2 EIDE Media drives

If anyone can help me think of anything I could try it would be greatly appreciated.

Again the main problem is that it will not boot windows. It will load the first few times after an install but it is always unstable and crashes, then it will never load it again. This system has never been overclocked. I just threw everything in there and had this problem to start with.

--Xilin

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please read the following: set up Memtest, then download Memtest86+ from here.