Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't Boot After Software Installation

• Please log in to reply

lizkkk

lizkkk

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I had inserted a Kodak disk of photos into the computer. There was a disclaimer on the program that if there were open programs the Kodak system might interfere with them, but I did not take that seriously (though I should have I guess).

Anyway, as part of the download, the option was given to let the Kodak software close the computer and restart it. I took this option and walked out of the room. When I returned, the blue HP screen is there and that is as far as the computer will go.

I called HP and spent $49.99 (that they are refunding me) because they could not get the computer to reboot.

I am 100% computer stupid so I have to be handfed any suggestions you might have. I feel that I am destined to take it into the computer shop..... something I did just three weeks ago, and that was related to a virus. This, however, I feel is software related. I hope. I have Windows XP. Computer is a HP desktop Pavillion.

Thanks in advance if there are any knights in shining armor out there tonight.

Sleepless in Charlotte
Liz

Edited by lizkkk, 13 June 2009 - 09:27 PM.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi Liz, Welcome to GeeksToGo.

I have reviewed your post and agree that the best option is to have a professional computer technician resolve the issue.

Regards,
Ectech

Edited by Ectech, 13 June 2009 - 10:49 PM.

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for quick response....

Can a software problem cause a hardware problem???

I know I have to take it in to get fixed, but what kind of diagnosis can you give me based on what I said in my original post.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
The issue was mostly caused by a messy computer. Performing regular maintenance is the key to a good computing experience. More specifically the machines inability to properly start may be caused by virus and/or a driver conflict. While having the technician service your computer I suggest you request more memory (if needed) and good security software. Among the top competitors which include: Norton Internet Security/Eset Smart Security/Kaspersky Internet Security I'd recommend NIS 2009 (Norton)

Regards,
Ectech

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for the response!

Have a good night.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Glad I could help. :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Could you tell us what HP had you do to try to fix the problem?

Cbarnard

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
This was the second time I had to call HP. The last time I did not have the blue screen. The last time was 2 weeks ago. They did F8, F1, made me take the memory boards out (last step).... a couple of hours of wasted time. No solution and I ended up at BestBuy and for $199 got fixed.

This time, after paying, they asked me to unplug printer, unplug computer and press on the turn on/off button to get rid of static on the computer (they did this with me 2 weeks earlier too).

They tried to get the computer started by hitting F1 while computer was turning out, and also did the same with F8. Never could get beyond blue screen.

Then the guy started talking about taking computer apart to get to RAM. This is where I balked big time. I am not a computer person, I did not know where the RAM boards were two weeks earlier and had to get off the phone and have them call me back when I finally figured out where they were.

I got upset with the HP guy and said no, I will not try to open up my computer to fix it. I had absolutely no faith that working with the RAM would have anything to do with fixing my problem. He said that a support person would call me back in 24 hours and that I will not be charged.

I better not be because he did absolutely nothing towards fixing it. It was/is not a push a button and fix it kind of problem.

I am going to BestBuy shortly. They debugged my computer 2 weeks ago, and did some other work on it to get the updates properly going on including Norton which somehow I had disabled.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I was wondering what steps they took you through to see if we could help you.

I believe they didn't do all that is possible to assist you (couple more things I would try)

I can help you if you are willing (and want to save the money)

I can be as descriptive as possible and include pictures when needed...

The steps are not difficult and may teach you something "if you like"

What is the name of the software you installed?

Good luck either way let me know

Cbarnard

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi lizkkk

We at Geeks to go are always willing to help, as long as you are willing to try. As Cbarnard stated, we can be as descriptive as you need. Based on your first post, the first thing I would have you try is last known good configuration, or safe mode so we can roll back to a restore point previous to the problem.

There are a lot of things that we can do to help you.

123runner

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Hi lizkkk

the first thing I would have you try is last known good configuration, or safe mode so we can roll back to a restore point previous to the problem.

There are a lot of things that we can do to help you.

123runner

I agree, we are here to help! Correct me if im incorrect, but I think it doesnt get past the HP POST screen. I would first recommend disconnecting EVERYTHING besides the monitor, keyboard, and power cable from the PC then try to boot. That will elimante any type of external source halting the POST of the machine.

Edited by diabillic, 15 June 2009 - 06:09 PM.

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Another person on another board asked me if I had tried to restart the computer without the program disk in. The disk, by the way, was just a Kodak photo desk which had Kodak software.

I took the disk out and tried it, and the computer would not go beyond the blue screen.

I took the computer to BestBuy. When the guy started it up, the blue screen came up again. Then he did 'something' (a computer aware friend said he must have set the registry back - ???). Then, the computer booted as it was supposed to.

They did a virus check - nothing came up. I was not charged (it was within 30 day warranty period anyway).

I came home and had an email from HP charging me for the night before even though the guy had told me I would not get charged, so I called up, ranted/raved, and they did take the charge off.

I did enjoy finding this site, though, and the fact that you do not charge. As you know there are many sites that do charge.

I will definitely come back here the next time I have an issue!

EDIT: Diabillic: Basically what happened was what you suggested... unplug unplug, and then when the machine was at BestBuy, it was in that state you had suggested it to be in.

Edited by lizkkk, 15 June 2009 - 06:55 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Well congrats to you... I'm glad your problem has been solved...

We welcome you back at anytime...

Good luck

Cbarnard