Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help With Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am a little old granny living in FL -- I don't play the latest games and I just need a video card that will support my Hanns G monitor. I am using WinXP Home and do a lot of photo editing. I don't think I need an expensive gaming card but I do want something that will be adequate for photo editing and website building.

ATI Radeon 7500 (Currently)
Via KT600 VT 8237Epox 8KRAI-X MB
2 gb crucial Memory
Athalon XP 2800+

The monitor gives me a message: Check Video Cables - No Connection. This usually happens when the screen is going to rest mode. The other thing it does is when I go to the desktop from Internet Explorer or from control panel, the icons take a long time to be drawn. Does this mean I have a bad card or is my icon cache too small or what?

I have Nvidia 6200 AGP card to install. Will the work Nvidia better than the ATI -- provided I can get it to be recognized? My current setting in Bios is PCI 1st than AGP. Do I need to change the setting in Bios to AGP 1st or should the bios detect the setting for me automatically when it finds the card?

The last time I tried to install the Nvidia card the screen went crazy since I had uninstalled the ATI drivers. I shut the computer down before the new drivers were installed for Nvidia from my disk because I didn't want to damage my screen.

How should I approach this? I have read the excellent articles about Video cards and they have been very helpful in helping me recognize the correct slots on my board, but I am still confused. I'll be greatful for all help :)

Advertisements

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The problems with ATI occurred before I tried to install the Nvidia card. I had to completely reinstall the ATI drivers after I removed the Nvidia card. Before I installed the Nvidia card I removed the ATI drivers via the Add/Remove. I shut down the computer and installed the Nvidia hardware. Restarted the computer and the screen was bizzare! Couldn't install Nvidia drivers from the disk because I couldn't read the screen. I shut down the computer, unintalled the Nvidia card and reinstalled the Ati card and drivers. I am having the problem with the icons not drawing completely and taking a lot of time to complete at startup. Otherwise the screen is doing pretty well.

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Correct.

If there is nothing wrong with the Ati card, I am not really excited about changing the card again. My only concern is that from time to time I get a message on my screen that says No Cable Connected. Check all cables. That makes me think maybe the ATI card is failing.

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The Nvidia card is new and has never been installed e4xcept for my failed effort.

I had a Samsung monitor connected several months ago...no problems.

I don't have a different connector unless I destroy my other computer which is actually working right now.

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
First I re-installed the ati driver from the disk that came with the card.

I checked Ati's site for a driver update and the most current one for the card on the site is version 6.11 (I think it is 6.11) anyway it has not been updated in a number of years. So, I have the most current version. I believe I even contacted their support and asked if there was a newer driver available and they said no...

tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The Nvidia card?

I bought it on the internet somewhere...have no idea where. I have had it for several months. My Dad and I are always tinkering with computers and this is just a spare we happened to have around.

I can take it to his house and we can try it on one of his computers...that way mine will be safe.