Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

yanks23

yanks23

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i just upgraded my computers RAM. I bought 4gb of Mushkin Redline Ram and my computer cannot pick up all 4 gbs. Both sticks work individualy but when i put both in the computer only shows 2gbs. My mother board can use up to 8gb of ddr2 ram. Any Help?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What OS are you using?
A 32 bit OS will only see 3.2 to 3.5 gigs of memory total.
What MOBO do you have as the ram may need to be seated in a specific slot to work correctly.

yanks23

yanks23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have windows 7 ultimate right now and my motherboard is an asus m2n32

Edited by yanks23, 15 June 2009 - 05:36 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Your mobo supports dual-channel RAM configuration. That means you should put both the 2 sticks of RAM in either the yellow or black slots.

Windows 7 32 or 64 bit?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
If you want your OS to be able to use all 4 GB of memory, you're going to have to get the Windows 7 64bit. The 32bit can only use around 3.5GB of your systems memory.

Also like edge2022 said, you need to choose either the black sockets or yellow sockets on your motherboard for RAM. Both slots are the same, but in order for your computer to pick up both sticks you need to have the RAM in same color slots.

Hope that helps!

yanks23

yanks23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have the 64 bit and i put both sticks in yellow slots and it picked up 3 gb. i think one of the stiocks may be broken because i put one of the sticks on and it had trouble starting and when it finally loaded it showed 1 gb of ram. thx for the help

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

i have the 64 bit and i put both sticks in yellow slots and it picked up 3 gb. i think one of the stiocks may be broken because i put one of the sticks on and it had trouble starting and when it finally loaded it showed 1 gb of ram. thx for the help

Do you mean that the problem is with the motherboard or with a stick of RAM. If the computer picked up 3GB when you were running in dual-channel configuration, the problem shouldn't be with the RAM.

Just to check that the RAM is ok, click on Memtest Instructions in my sig and follow the steps in the article.
This might be OS related, can you try seeing how much RAM another 64-bit OS detects? You can try 64-bit Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download