Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic starting

• Please log in to reply

Spo

Spo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just asking why / how my computers sometimes starts automatically when its conected to internet I just don't know why as its not because any virus or spyware( At least i don't find any with f-secure and Ad-aware)? :tazz:

Edited by Spo, 11 May 2005 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hmm...I think one of the two of us is confused. You say your computer "starts automatically when it's connected to the Internet". Hmmm....if your computer is connected to the Interenet, isn't it already "started".

If I'm to try and understand this, I'll assume your computer is turned off, but turns on by itself from time to time. For example, you turn your PC off and head to work only to find it is turned on again when you get home.

If that's the case, you can check the power settings if it's Windows 98. There is a setting that allows your computer to boot when you receive a phone call (assuming you have a phone line plugged into a modem on this PC). I think you can check that out by looking at your modem settings under the control panel. Sorry, it's been a while since I've helped anyone disable that function. If you don't see the option there, come back and let us know or google it instead. I'm sure, however, that someone here will be able to assist you.

Let me know if I'm on the right track. For now, we really aren't sure what we are dealing with. :tazz: