Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lcd tv as second monitor on xp laptop

• Please log in to reply

andymirasol

andymirasol

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,i am trying to use a flatscreen lcd tv/monitor as a second monitor on my laptop(xp),which at first was going fine, i clicked Extend My Windows Desktop Onto This Monitor check box.The desktop appeared on the tv/monitor, i altered the resolution to fit the screen and it was central on the screen, but as i was altering the settings while continuing to set it up and now i cannot get the desktop to sit correctly on the screen.It goes off up to the top right and i cannot get it back again to how it was,that is sitting centrally on the tv/monitor?i have tried altering all the resolutions up and down the scale but no luck.
Can anyone help please?
thankyou.

Advertisements

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hiya, yes tried hundreds of times adding it again.
It is a 21" TV
With a vga cable,straight out the back of the laptop into the tv.

But like i say when i first set it up and messed around with the computer i got it to position correctly, but now it will not,it sits to the top right of the tv screen.
So i know it will work,lol but it just wont go back.

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, i want to run a CDG plugin on winamp which plays karaoke text to music, basically you run it on the laptop and just click the box what opens up and drag it across onto the tv screen.I already tried this, it works ok...so i guess this would be a horizontal span not a clone.
Thanks

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hiya,the tv monitor originally shown the desktop picture from the laptop from corner to corner minus icons on the tv screen,this is how i need it,but at the moment the desktop image on the tv screen is sited offset to the top right but on a monitor you can line this up with the x/y buttons but on the tv there is none.
But originally when i first connected it i was messing around with the resolutions in display properties and it came right but i cannot now get this correct setting back and it sits to the top right.
Thx

Edited by andymirasol, 16 June 2009 - 08:54 AM.

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
1024X768

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
this is greyed out and i cannot select it as primary but the desktop is ok on laptop ,just offcenter on tv

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Trippester, its on another computer of my friends and he does not have internet access on it.
they are both set to 1024 x 768 32 bit color

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Trippster, yeps its only on the desktop

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Trippster, tried moving it right up to 1600x something and its still in the same position, its really strange no matter what the resolution is it stays in the same offset position ,thx

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hiya, hmm i dont think i can see a position setting? what does it say, i can only see a resolution setting

andymirasol

andymirasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ah yes i have it set to stretch