Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build memory problems

• Please log in to reply

cdell123

cdell123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

First time builder, I can't get the system to boot using all 4 sticks of ram. I'm confidant that its not a memory problem, As I can use any of the three sticks and it boots correctly. Also, I can use any of the 4 slots and it still boots and runs correctly. When I put the 4th stick in, the motherboard beeps once (like normal) but then sits at the motherboard's logo screen for about 10 seconds until it resets and does it again. (The same situation that happened before I had an o.s. installed, and I ended up removing a stick to get it to boot from the cdrom)

Memtest was successful on each stick of ram individually, as well as each dimm individually.

I'm new to any bios tweaking so I don't want to change anything with minimal knowledge.

Here are my specs:

EP45-UD3P BIOS Version F8

Core 2 Quad Q9550 Revision E0 (Stepping A)

The RAM is Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D (all 4 sticks)

GPU Diamond 3850 512mb

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Also the RAM's max bandwidth (in EasyTune) is listed as pc26400, but I'de rather get all dimms working before I address that issue.

Thanks in advance. Let me know what other information I can give you to be helpful.

Heres a link to another forum which I have asked for help. (there are 2 pages)

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I have read through your thread in the other forum...

What speed do you have the ram set at... stock setting is 1066mhz. but sometimes when you fully populate the DIMMS and keep the max settings the Memeory controller has a hard time functioning properly... if the speed is set to 1066mhz, change the setting to 800mhz...

Try this it may help.

Cbarnard

cdell123

cdell123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, I'll see what I can do about that when I get home from work. But to note, CPU-Z has stated that my memory is only running at 800mhz (although in the bios it is set to 1066).

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I assume that all the settings in the BIOS are set to default correct?

That particular RAM is listed as being supported in the QVL, so it shouldn't be a problem. Also, if everything is set to default, try downclocking the RAM as suggested already.

cdell123

cdell123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I've tried default (1.8v, 5-5-5-15) and I've tried setting it to the Corsair Specs (2.1v, 5-5-5-15). Neither of which have worked, but I'll try downclocking.